Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #11
If your going to migrate over to reef eventually, I wouldn't bother with the 2x65w PC. It won't be enough.

For a reef depending on your tank dimensions, I'd suggest either 2x96w powerquads minimum or better still MH.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I'm very limited because I have a corner tank. the 24" fixture takes up a lot of space, but I can probably go to 30" or so

I'll need to build a canopy to keep my cats out and hang lights so I can remove the glass top

All of this is "way too expensive" for now. The coralife (yep) is 130 watts and small enough to fit. I know I want a reef eventually, but mostly I just want to get a few fish and have them live in a place that's not so bare. Coralline and some microcritters would make it much more of an ecosystem and much less of the "glass box with bare sand and rock" taht it is now. hirocks and dry aragonite are kinda boring. I don't want "bad" algea to take hold, but if I don't have enough light for coralline, it's kinda silly to spend another $80 on 10 lb of live rock only to see it die.

54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:26 AM   #13
If your good with DIY stuff you can use the 2x65w later on when you upgrade the lighting, just consider this the first step towards something better. The main thing to avoid is spending alot of money on something your not going to keep. Lighting being quite exspensive is something you only want to do once.

If you think the 2x65w is something that won't go to waste, ie.. reworked into a home built hood with additional lighting for a reef, then I'd say go ahead. If you don't think that's something you can't swing, I'd wait until you can afford something better.

It's really up to your budget and DIY skills.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When you say "coraline" algae, do you just mean the purple algae?
We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
When you say "coraline" algae, do you just mean the purple algae?

If so, yes. <<Coralline>>.

fowlr, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com