FOWLR Stocking recommendations...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Folks,

I'm currently setting up / cycling my 90 gallon aquarium.
It will be a FOWLR setup.

Once set up it will have around 135lb of Live Rock, a 3" Argonite sand bed.

Will be running:
1 Sump
1 Protein Skimmer
1 Eheim 2317 Canister filter
lots of water flow, flourescent bulbs for lighting.

Now, these are the fish I've narrowed my stock down to, these are the fish I would like to introduce over the course of a year. However, I think I may still have too many fish on my list... may cause too much of a bioload?

In either case, if anyone can recommend how these guys will get along with each other, who I should take out (or recommendations for other fish), and what order should I introduce them in?

Here's the list:
2x Goby
2x Clowns
2x Damsels
1x Yelloweye/Kole Tang
1x Blenny
1x Wrasse
1x Dartfish
1x Flame Angel
1x Long Nose Hawkfish
+ hermits and shrimp

Thanks,
Justin

Damsels in general are quite agressive. They will nip at other fish and may cause you some problems. Expect them to pick a few fights no matter who they are in a tank with.

Hawkfish i believe with be fine with your other fish but may snack on your clean up crew as well as some inverts (cleaner or peppermint shrimp for example)

In general gobys and dartfish are probably going to be the least agressive fish so it would probably be best to add those first to let them get established. Others will be able to help you come up with an order (least agressive to most agressive/territorial) in order to give you the best shot at a happy community.

Also if you pick out your fish more specificly in stead of just the goby or clown family it will help people give you a better idea. O. clowns are for the most part peaceful (as long as no one pushes in on their home) but maroon clowns can get quite nasty so it may depend on what fish you want to put in there specifily. There can be quite a range of personality.

That's some great advice!
Have you looked at snails and possibly an urchin and/or a brittle star?

I think you`ll need to pare your list down for a 90 gallon tank. 12 fish and the size that some of them will get to is just too much. Maybe pair it down to 8 fish would be better. Two of them would be the damsels as they will be problems.

Back
Top Bottom