Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-16-2015, 03:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I have had my 10 gallon FOWLR for over a year now and decided I want to give coral a try. As of right now, I bought Orbit LEDs, but I still have a ton of questions.

I am Currently using Instant Ocean Salt but was wondering would I have to change my salt or add additives to support the corals?

For anyone that has used Orbit LEDs, what kind of corals do they support?

I currently just test for pH, nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate, but will I have to test for different things in order to provide a stable environment for corals?

Currently my stock is a yellow clown goby, fire shrimp, Halloween hermit, 2 Margarita snails, a bumblebee snail, and an Astrea snail. Will any of these bother the corals?

As far as the corals that I want, I just want corals that are good beginner corals who can be supported by the lights. Any recommendations?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Pimp My Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Get ready to have some fun! Corals can be addicting! I don't have experience with those lights so someone who has more knowledge about them may want to confirm but I think you should be good with softies, mushrooms, ricordea, zoas, leathers and most LPS (duncan, frogspawn, hammer, acans, torch), and maybe some of the easier SPS like birdsnest and montis! I get my saltwater from my LFS so also haven't done much research on the different salt mixes. If you get a lot of corals in there you will need to start checking calcium and alk to see if they need to be supplemented. I don't think any of your current inhabitants will bother the corals. I'm still a newbie so hope some of our expert coral keepers chime in to fill in what I've missed and correct me if I'm guiding you in the wrong direction. Good luck and post pictures when you start picking up frags!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sand dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks! I will be sure to post pictures! Anyone else have an input?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Pimp My Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Need to test calcium,KH,PH,nitrates regulary.
Magnesium every so often especially if having problems maintaining CA.
Most salt are the same.
Make up your mix and test that water to see where it stands(CA,PH,KH).
All crabs are pest and if they don't find food will mess with anything they can.
It is possible with waterchanges that you will not need to buff,but if you do it will probably be for PH,KH,and calcium.
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Those lights are not much for corals. But in your 10 gal you might be ok with softies such as shrooms and Zoas. The crabs etc will be all fine.
Salt will need to be reef type salt, such as the instant ocean reef crystals.
Alk buffing with baking soda if required.
Calcium buffing with Dow flakes or hot tub calcium (EcoSense is what I use).
Mag buff with Mag flakes.
Or buy the aquarium additives at 4+ times the cost, but might be cheaper for a 10 gal aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com