Frag Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright everyone,
Today i found an old Food Grade storage bin lying around the house. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to start the frag tank I've always wanted. The bins dimensions are 24" by 17" and a total 12" tall.

I need some help deciding on lights. I'm thinking Par38's are the way to go. Suggestions? What do you think about these: Dimmable PAR38 12W Watt LED Aquarium Reef Coral White Blue Grow Light Lighting | eBay

Yes, I do know they are 1 watt LED's. I figured, it will only be filled 9" up, so they should work, right? Or should I just go with Coral Compulsion?

Also, do I need to put eggcrate on the bottom? Could I just leave it bare, or is sand required?

For flow, I'm thinking two koralia 425's, one on each end. There will only be softies and LPS in the tank.
It will be a separate system, because I have no sump to plumb it into.

Thanks in advance.

It isn't worth the price and might not even cover the entire 24'. Look at the taotronic LED panels. They are dimmable, will cover that area, and will support SPS if you want to grow them out in the future.

Yea I'd step up to something with at least 3 watt leds with a good dimmer included. On the topic of eggcrate in the bottom, it isn't a requirement, but for organization, if you're planning on using plugs, it'll keep everything much neater. Otherwise bare bottom or some sand/ LR rubble would be suitable.

Good luck,

D

What do you plan on fraging? If it's sps you'd probably want at least 2 par bulbs and one of the Taos will be less than that

The Par38 bulbs don't cover a very large area. I personally think it would be spreading things thing even if it was a 2-3 watt LED system.

Really depends on the optics, but 2 of the quality par bulbs would cover 24" no problem, 1 with 120* optics will cover about 20"x20" but would only grow softies and lps, 2 would be required for sps. But either way the Taos are a better deal because everybody but reefkoi's par bulbs are $100 and that's with out a goose neck so the Taos would be better bang for the buck either way.

Why aren't you putting in any rock? Tossing some in under the frag racks is a good idea for filtration if you decide to try feeding your frags...along with possible protein skimming if that it the case as well.

I was just thinking out loud because I have seen many frag tanks without it.

So, do I just put it under the egg crate?
Or just like in a normal tank?

When I eventually get around to a frag tank of my own, it will be rock under the frag racks with taotronics over it. That is a really sweet setup IMO. It'll end up being larger so I can toss a 6 line wrasse in for parasite prevention.

Rubble will work too. This is your tank in terms of how you want to get the egg crate around the rock. I don't see much of a reason for different levels if you are just doing softies and LPS...but you can.

I'm just trying to imagine what you are saying.

So are you saying
A: Put eggcrate and rock in as normal
Or
B: Rock on the actual bottom of the tank and then out a rack of eggcrate on top.

Back
Top Bottom