Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tht angel needs a 150 gal tank. And aslo if you ever plan to do reef I'd start of now if you use declorinated tap water your parts per million are probibly very high you want them round 0 . If you plan on haveing a serious tank I would highly highly recommend buying bs RO filter with a DI cartridge it'll make ur life a million times easier I dnt trust tap water in a marine tank

Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suatso
Oh sorry, as for your question, i would stop on the livestock, but the next one should definetely be the yellow tang. The mandarin is a very picky eater. Wether you buy on a regular basis some copepods, of you get alot of rock in there and wait for a healthy population of copepods to grow there
The yellow tang will need a 6' tank.
I know others said they would be fine but these are VERY active fish that get rather large and require a fair amount of space to swim. They like to swim in bursts from one side of the tank to another.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for all the advice/ questions! This is all very helpful. I'm still struggling to put everything together because as you all probably know, I can ask the same question to 5 people and will get 5 totally different answers.

I was told using LIVE sand provides instant cycling. In fact it's supposed to be guaranteed. My Live Rock is pre-cured and has come directly out of a very established tank from my local reef store.

I put the LS in and waited 2 days.. Tested.. All zero'd out.
Put the LR in and waited a week. My shop told me to bring a water sample in after 5 days and they would test it.. I waited a week and then took it in. It tested the same. Zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrates. I waited another couple of days and tests were still showing zero. They told me I was ready to go. I added the fish and I test the water every day.

So I cycled almost 2 weeks before adding fish even though they claim instant cycle. The fish have been in the tank for over 5 days now. I just tested the water and I'm still seeing zero ammonia and zero nitrates, however I do see a very small amount (.25) Nitrite for the first time.

I'm not too worried about the tank size for the Angel. If all goes well with this tank, I plan to start a 200g in the spring.

I'm confused about the amount of live rock though. Since you can obviously use NO live rock, how can I not have enough Live Rock? Right now I have about 40lbs in it. I'd really prefer to keep it that way because in essence it gives my fish nearly the same volume of area to swim as most 150g with 100lbs of LR. What is the downside of having 1/2lb per gallon vs 1lb per gallon?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your live rock is your filter. Nitrifying BB live there. The more rock you have, the better filtration you have. Also more places for pods to grow & hide, as well as places for your fish to hide & graze
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #15

If you had no fish when you tested the water, that would mean you were "ready" to put ONE fish in, eventhough, i wouldn't call1 week cycling to be ready, even using live rock and live sand, because there was nothing to bring ammonia in (fish poo of decomposing matter)

Let's all hope everything comes out allright.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I was setting up my nano tank a few weeks ago I saw where my live sand bag said "instant cycling" and I thought to myself 'man that's a load of BS...'

I cycled a 40g tank with 45lb live rock and 40lbs live sand for over a month and after it had cycled I only added in a few crabs and 1 Damsel (hardy as you can get!)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #17

Yeah, there's no such thing as an instant cycling. Everything is a natural or better said, biological process that has to complete on its own time.

Leave your ( beautiful ) tank be for a month or two, and monitor by yourself the water parameters, don't take it to your LFS because i've heard of stores that lie on the measurements just to sell aditives. Ifnitrates climb, water change.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, "instant cycling" is impossible. I used all LS and LR and a taw shrimp for my 55g and it still took about 4weeks to cycle. But there's already fish in there now, so I would just monitor the levels. I hope it all turns out well. You don't "need" LR at all. If you like the amount you have, just leave it at that. You have the Fluval (I love mine BTW), and that will work well. The rock you have will work as a natural filter too. Just make sure you rinse out all the components of the Fluval every week so that your nitrates don't increase. Also, just a BTW, saw that you're using tap water- bad idea. The tank might be okay for a little while, but at some point you're going to have a bad algae and/or cyano problem from the phosphates and other stuff in tap water. Tap can also contain trace of iron and other metals which are bad for fish. I don't have a RO/DI system, so I use 5g buckets and buy RO water from the lfs for 0.25/gal. It'll save you headaches in the future. Good luck and have fun with your new tank!! And welcome back to the world of fish!!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
Yeah, "instant cycling" is impossible. I used all LS and LR and a taw shrimp for my 55g and it still took about 4weeks to cycle. But there's already fish in there now, so I would just monitor the levels. I hope it all turns out well. You don't "need" LR at all. If you like the amount you have, just leave it at that. You have the Fluval (I love mine BTW), and that will work well. The rock you have will work as a natural filter too. Just make sure you rinse out all the components of the Fluval every week so that your nitrates don't increase. Also, just a BTW, saw that you're using tap water- bad idea. The tank might be okay for a little while, but at some point you're going to have a bad algae and/or cyano problem from the phosphates and other stuff in tap water. Tap can also contain trace of iron and other metals which are bad for fish. I don't have a RO/DI system, so I use 5g buckets and buy RO water from the lfs for 0.25/gal. It'll save you headaches in the future. Good luck and have fun with your new tank!! And welcome back to the world of fish!!
Thanks. I cleaned out the filter after the first day to clear out all the sand that it sucked up for the initial settle. I'll tear it down this weekend and rinse it again. I'm just running the stock media. Do you have any recommendations for other media to run, or should I just keep what's in there for awhile?

I'll try to find somewhere to start buying water. Or perhaps I'll look into just buying an RO filter. The only thing I've seen is the prepackaged boxes of sea water. My LFS actually recommended I just use my tap and water prep solution. They claim that's what they do, but to leave it settle for a few days. I can start doing 20% water changes each weekend. That should sort itself out after a couple of months?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronix

Thanks. I cleaned out the filter after the first day to clear out all the sand that it sucked up for the initial settle. I'll tear it down this weekend and rinse it again. I'm just running the stock media. Do you have any recommendations for other media to run, or should I just keep what's in there for awhile?

I'll try to find somewhere to start buying water. Or perhaps I'll look into just buying an RO filter. The only thing I've seen is the prepackaged boxes of sea water. My LFS actually recommended I just use my tap and water prep solution. They claim that's what they do, but to leave it settle for a few days. I can start doing 20% water changes each weekend. That should sort itself out after a couple of months?
Wow! If your LFS is using tap, I would find a new LFS!! I have two LFS that sell RO water, but ya gotta ask about it, there's no sign or anything. If you have a Petco that does SW, that's one place I get mine. But not all Petco's do SW.

I kept the stock stuff in the Fluval for first month or so. Then I got rid of 1 carbon and added more biomax to that container and I changed out the remaining carbon (carbon lasts a month, chemipure should be good for about 3 months) for Chemipure. I didn't replace all at once, though- I did one each week till all 3 were replaced. Every week I rotate changing out 1 sponge item in the canister, whether its the long foam or polishing pad, and I rinse well all the other items. It only takes about 10 min to rinse to whole canister contents. Biomax will last a long time, though. Just don't change all foam at once or you'll lose most of your BB. When I changed to chemipure, my water did clear up even better, although I thought it was fine before that.

Tags
eat, fowlr, fresh, n00b, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com