Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the fluvel edge too! Was going to do a invert tank with it but I'm new to SW so I didn't want to mess up.

Just about everyone online adds an ammonia source and that's what I did. The LR might not have as much die off on it so it might take a while to see a spike. I think my cycle is about to start its home stretch

Turning on your light isnt necessary for cycling. Some people would even advise not to so that algae can't grow.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Love the edge! So sleek, best design out there. Thanks for the feedback, I'm thinking youre right, well just have to wait and see, post pics of yours too, keep us updated.
Can someone help me with the other questions please?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you don't need a calcium supplement until you have a need for calcium. that won't come until you have enough creatures in the tank that use calcium, and you start seeing it depleting.
carbon isn't a must. some folks use it and some don't. it does help to keep the water clear though, and remove unwanted smells and toxins. it's not a bad addition. it's best in a reactor. just a bag of it in the sump doesn't do much good.
henry is right about the lighting. you won't need that until you have photosynthetic creatures to worry about.
it also looks as though you don't have enough live rock to raise ammonia levels enough. i would use a raw cocktail shrimp to start the cycle.

the power heads you purchased are not too much for that size tank.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for all of the advice Doug, it seems like I have never ending questions. Getting antsy to get started already, waiting sucks!

Has anyone used Seacham Purigen, the description makes me think it's akin to manna from heaven but Im nervous using it unless I know someone has had success with it first...
Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know much about it, but I did see the part where it eliminates ammonia in the water. During cycle, its best to let the tank take care of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate naturally.

80% of filtration in your tank is going to be done by the LR and sand because of the bacteria on them. That is why we have to cycle a tank so that the bacteria can grow and create a strong force to control your bio-load. Adding anything that would reduce ammonia right now would weaken the filtration.

Later on when you have livestock and there's an ammonia spike, it might be useful, but I've never used it before
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, I went ahead and got a 1250 powerhead and the purigen. When do I put a refugium light in, and where do I get one. Saw a clip on for around $30, but didn't look like it was really powerful. Does it matter?
I want to get some seaweed this weekend to put in the sump too.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm such a stalker always lurking, feel like such a spy lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i wouldn't advise putting macroalgae in during the cycle. i have seen more of it die off during the spikes than not. i would wait until you have some livestock in the tank.
you can use a cheapy clip on fixture from home depot or lowes, and a curly-q energy saver bulb. i would look for one that has a kelvin rating of about 5000-6500. you can find this information usually on the box or side of the bulb itself. not that the lower K lamps won't work, but all of the plant websites i have read, stated that color temp is optimal for this type of plant growth.
here is what i am talking about-
Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im going to home depot than. When is it a good idea to add the clean up crew?
BTW, spoke with an lfs guy today who said that you are adding a complete, natural biological filter when you add the LR in, as long as the bacteria on it survive the journey. Said you test a couple of times and that's it. I told him that seems awfully fast. Is this guy just trying to make a sale, sounded like it made sense, but I told him Im going with a more conservative method.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

My first little hitchhiker! Just came out today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1155608661.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	34390  
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He isn't lying about the LR being a natural biological filter with bacteria on them. Thats why a lot of large tanks use a sump. The LR are 80% of the filtrations in your tank. The only part that is sketchy is about the tests.

If the LR are coming out of a tank, they should be kept in buckets of water if possible to have the least amount of bacteria death. People usually cycle their tanks even though they add LR is due to stuff dying off on the rocks.

CUC should be added after your tank is completely done cycling

Tags
eat, fishless cycling, fresh, new aquariums, new saltwater tank, watts per gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com