Fresh to Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfrye

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm debating on converting my freshwater to saltwater. Currently my setup is relatively minimal.

90g tank on stand
Cascade canister 1000 filter
4 port air bubbler
2 48" fluorescent tube lights on timer

Not sure what I would need to convert it and keep costs low. Not too upset if it becomes too expensive and can't do it. I'm thinking of the tank to be a fowlr tank.

Any knowledge is welcome as well as item/price and possible site to learn more about the conversion process.

Thanks

Ideally you would get rid of the canister filter and add a skimmer in a sump (you can make your own, but you will need a return pump and possibly other things depending on how you go). Canisters collect stuff that produces nitrates and you want those levels low in saltwater.

For a fish- only, lighting would not matter. You would not use an air pump/bubbler (creates salt creep, which is a mess).

You would want sand, rock (live or dry that will become live) and possibly a heater if needed in your area. Get a good test kit and get a refractometer (Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate).

Doesn't sound bad at all. I have a 10g tank I might be able to get from family for a sump. Don't think I'll need a heater living in Phoenix. It was over 100 before 11 today. If anything a cooler would be good.

There is always the Petco dollar a gallon sales if you wanted a 20g.

I live in Palm Springs, so almost identical weather. When I had my. 75 g last summer, I actually got a used 1/10hp chiller and it worked great. Now, I have a. 60g cube and a 240g. Both are without chillers and temps are staying right at 80 degrees with leaving the AC at 80 during the day. I might consider a chiller again if they start to rise too much.

So when I start to get all the supplies, should I look to get a skimmer and uv for the size of the sump/refugium the main tank or both? I plan on getting a 40g aquarium to use under the 90, unless that is way over kill.

UV isn't really used for saltwater unless maybe you are doing fish only.

Get a skimmer rated double your total water capacity. So if you stick with the 40 sump then you will want a skimmer rated for about 260gallons. Avoid the coralife skimmers you see on the shelf at most pet stores.

I found a Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Protein Skimmer for $99. I am going to build my sump tank and it is going to be 35g total when finished. So will that skimmer be realistic for my tank? It says the skimmer is rated for 25-250 gallons. Seems like a big range, but I'm new to all this.

Also, Anybody have a good layout/plan for a diy sump tank? I don't plan on drilling the tank and will just use a hob overflow to drop under the tank.

I plan on posting pictures once I have acquired all the items and start to piece everything together and do the conversion.

Back
Top Bottom