fresh to salt conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicracing

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 75 gallon fresh water tank with 2 marineland penguin 330 filters. can i use these to convert my tank to a salt tank and do you really need a protein skimmer? what about my lighting? i have 2 24inch single tube flor light. i also have a 300 watt visi therm heater is this ok for a 75 gallon salt? i know i sound like a idiot but a dumb question is one not asked.
rob

You can use everything you have if you want a fish only tank. Just clean everything up real good and get it cycling.

That's a different matter. Your lights won't support anything except fish. Also, I would replace the filters with 1.5-2lb per gal of live rock.

cindy i dont understand what you mean replace the filters with live rock. so the filetrs would not be needed? mind you i am a true salt rookie. i have had people tell me all sorts of stuff i need to purchase. the lighting i can understand. what about cycling, i read in another forum post that a good filter and live rockand a raw shrimp left to decompose would start tank cycling. i am used to fresh water start up. what do you recomend?

Exactly. If you have enough live rock, you won't need the mechanical filteration. Just some powerheads to move water around and through the liverock. I never addressed your skimmer question but yes, you would want a skimmer.
You are right on with the cycling. Although, your cycle can be minimized with fresh/cured liverock. Get a good sw test kit and throw in a raw shrimp. :D

now i have 2 more questions. what kind of skimmer is best and economical? and once te tank is cycled, which should take 2 to 3 weeks i assume. do i have to quarantine the first fish. is it best to install 1 fish at a time? thats when the quarantine would come into place.
rob

The best skimmer in my opinion, and should work on a 75g tank, is the aqua C remora pro. It's not the cheapest skimmer but one of the best. And it's very easy to use. Pretty much just plug it in.
I would QT even the first fish, reason being, if it turns out this fish has ich, catching a fish around liverock is a real chore. Yes, it's best to do one fish at a time. This give your biological filter time to catch up/adjust to the extra waste before adding the next one.

You will also need to ditch your current substrate. Most likely you have a FW gravel material. It should be replaced with something aragonite based, sand being the more prefered look.

Cheers
Steve

wow! I am glad you asked the questions- now I have all my answers too. I am trying to decide if I want saltwater over FW. Need lots of data to decide.

Back
Top Bottom