Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haus: Ya, it's home made. The outside paneling is tongue and groove that's been attached together and a pair of 1x2's along the back for added support. The main support is all paired 2x4's and then misc. wood for trim. It has 2 large hinged lids with about a 6" center support section. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The pic is from right after I completed it and got everything moved over. It's got a bunch of softies growing in it now.

archie1709: Exactly my point, I'm not counting in the odd pennies here and there, I'm looking at a concept. You can easily get started in this hobby on a small budget.

malkore: I tend to use 1 return pump for every system whether it's a powerhead or sump pump. I always split the output into at least 2 actual returns. If you look at my pic I've actually got 2 main lines, 1 along each side of the top of the tank. Each line is broken into 3 returns and it switches l/r with a sqwd. I suggest similar for single powerheads.

I always recomend playsand unless you really want aragonite.

The ocean contains massive amounts of silica sand. Glass is made of silica. Your tank is made of glass more than likely. You have silica in your tank. Silica is not bad thing. Silicate is a bad thing because it is made of silicic acid and is an entirely different animal than silica.

silica - A white or colorless crystalline compound, occurring abundantly as quartz, sand, flint, agate, and many other minerals and used to manufacture a wide variety of materials, especially glass and concrete.

slicate - 1. Any of numerous compounds containing silicon, oxygen, and one or more metals; a salt of silicic acid.
2. Any of a large group of minerals, forming over 90 percent of the earth's crust, that consist of SiO2 or SiO4 groupings combined with one or more metals and sometimes hydrogen.

lando: This is not bare bones in any way. It is just an excelent start on a FOWLR tank. My suggestion isn't for the end result of an sps tank, but a way to get a foot in the door and have a healthy tank.

Anyway, agree or not I've said my piece. I'm not trying to change anyone's religion here, although sometimes it would appear to be an easier challenge.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
The member posted that there is a $300 budget and could it be done. Based on your quote, the answer is probably not.
Yeah, I also said between $300 and $500. Did you see the $300 part? When you say you can pull a setup between $300-$500, does that mean you cannot set it up at $300? Are you blind?

If you know how to look and do a lot of common sense, yes $300 is possible.

JChillin, he said $300 to start up. It doesn't mean $300 for the WHOLE HOBBY.

And yes, I did say that if between the salties and the cichlid, the cichlid cannot even compete. The cichlids suck. And I own one. I am telling you, between the two, the cichlids suck. You can disagree. But this is my opinion between salties and cichlid. Take it to the bank.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

We seem to have a quorum already:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
I did say that FW fish are not boring due to the species you mention yourself archie1709. I also said that I enjoy and admire SW tanks specifically for the number of different types of life that is present.
The correction to $300-$500 is appreciated.

As expected, I figured that posting my opinions regarding FW would be challenged. My posts were intended as an option. I did not intend to create a "my fish is better than your fish" situation. You are entitled to your opinion and I would not attempt to change it.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie1709
And yes, I did say that if between the salties and the cichlid, the cichlid cannot even compete. The cichlids suck. And I own one. I am telling you, between the two, the cichlids suck. You can disagree. But this is my opinion between salties and cichlid. Take it to the bank.
Everyone is entitled to thier opinion but you know what they say about opinions and ... well, nevermind.
Anyway, lets not make this post into a flame war. Some of the comments really weren't necessary and could've been said in a more appropriate and adult manner.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to rhymeswithbear Send a message via Yahoo to rhymeswithbear
It sound to me like manooosie could choose between either a really spectacular FW tank, or a very basic SW one. In my opinion, there are beautiful FW fish, and there are beautiful SW fish, but I would rather have the very best for my fish than only have their basic necessities met. I would advise FW, because I think it's better to have the best than to just have the basics.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any way you look at it, $200 to start a SW tank is a pretty tough undertaking.
Indy, the tank you have pictured (very nice, by the way) is going to cost almost anyone more then $200. I am just trying to be practical here. There are so many things you do not even consider needing when starting a tank. Turns out you do, $10 here, $29 there...well, it all adds up. This hobby does not have to break the bank, just know it WILL cost more then you have budgeted for. That is a fact.
archie1709...grow up. You are certainly intitled to your own opinion just keep it on a moe mature level. If you are unable to post in a respectful manner, don't bother posting at all.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya can definately feel the tensions mounting, which is why I'm not going to continue the debate. I never intended for my responses to get everyone riled up, I just don't want to see people get discouraged too easily. I put off a sw tank for years because of the figures that got quoted to me at every fish store.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. It looks a lot better now then when I first got it set up and I'm happy with it. It lives in my dining room and is always an eye catcher. I'm getting ready to buy a new house soon and I'm already waking up screaming at the mere thought of moving it. Makes me almost wish I'd stuck with a goldfish I'm into it for about 800-1000 not counting the livestock. And someday I'll finally buy a better skimmer, but right now the $ isn't there for one. It definately does add up over time, which is why I try not to think about it too often.

Now everyone take a breath and count backwards from 10...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment on the tank
You are welcome. I actually love the shape, short and fat makes for a great SW tank. The point I am trying to make is most people do not figure in all of the extra purchases you need to make. You may be able to get al of the equipment for around $200 (buying used and new) but it serves no purpose if it is not filled with water and fish. This is where things start to add up. All of the extras plus on-going maintanacne costs can dwindle a budget in no time. Don't worry, I am not riled up. However, blanket statements like "cichlids suck" are just not called for. Many people on this forum keep them and may be offended by such extreme statements. It is totally disrespectful...
Old 07-24-2005, 01:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Things seriously heated up in this thread, and it has nothing to do with my moral debate 8) . Good news guys. My budget just increased closer to 400, but 350 would be ideal. I have now been to every single fish store in Las Vegas over the past couple of days. I have found a couple of good stores, and I am so excited to get started. I have monitored the classifieds, but it could be a while before I find something satisfactory, since my wife wants a paticular look for the tank(nice stand and canopy). Here the best I can do new:
55g glass tank with top and lights: $60
Unfinsihed Stand with cupboards: $90
Unifinished Canopy: $75
Total=225

Its a lot, but my wife wants to paint it herself and I dont think I could build anything she would be happy with. that leaves 175 for everything else. What I really need now is to compare costs between fw and sw accessories that I will need. Based on this thread, here is what I got so far:

SW accessories:
$40- brand new Prism Skimmer, from Ebay

$10- Instant Ocean salt bag

$10- Sand from Home Depot(Not sure about the price here)

$50- Base Rock(I have no clue about the price here. I imagine building up to live rock[helps with filtration right?], but have no plans for coral[at least for a couple of years]).

$30- 400GPH powerhead, from Ebay (Someone mentioned needing two 300 powerheads. If this is reasonable I would do it, I want to error on over doing it. I don't know the cost however.)

$50- Fish. I know this is cheap, but it will expand with time. I don't need a spectacular aquarium right away, just add to it as the money comes.

$20- Plants.

$30- Water Kit.

Total: 240
+240
=465

This could work, but I could not go higher. I am sure I have costs missing, and some of my numbers are off. It would be so helpful if some of you could give me input into where I could cut costs in this setup. Also, if someone could outline a comparable fw list that would be great.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice job with your research. This can be done if you buy things a little at a time. It is a lot easier on the wallet. Go ahead and get the big purchases out of the way, tanks, stand, canopy if you want it. Over time, get everything else you need item by item. Check out online shops, you can save a lot of money.

Tags
build, fresh, ich, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com