Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check with the site sponsors for online purchases.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/sponsorbanners.php

Old 07-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #32

Thanks for your constructive criticism about my comments. You will meet people that are opinionated on such matters like these.

I may have been a bit forthcoming with my oopinion of cichlids. I am a proud cichlid owner who's been in teh cichlid hobby for at least 2 years. I am a member of the cichlid-forum.com forum.

My point was that SW beginners should not be underestimated for their will to have SW tanks. I know your opinion on FW are valid but there's thins underlying arrogance when you say "Do freshwater, it's cheaper and easier". You shouldn't say that to someone who is interested in the hobby.

He wanted to start-up a SW tank with a budget of around $300. We say it is possible. Some of you say "I am the all-knowing" and I will say stick to your FW hobby. You shouldn't say that. Anyone who gets into a hobby, whether it be cross-stitching or SW tanks, you will spend money. The guy has work and has ain income. Don't assume that he only has $300 FLAT on the hobby itself.

He wants to start-up and we say "yes you can for that money". Then you need to eventually add some more. You can have, for that budget, a FOWLR with damsels and clown. That's how I started with my population.

I just happened to be poorly patient and wanted everything brand new from the store shelf. That cost me. If you look around, you will save hundredsd.

For the people who were offended of the "cichlids suck" comment, I apologize for your feelings. With that said, it's my opinoin.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can't rest your case, I need you to check my list of things to get! Also, if someone could break down a freshwater tank...
Old 07-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

My only suggestion to you archie1709 is, if you have a problem with another member, take it to PM or contact one of the admin. It doesn't belong in a thread where everyone trying to help. Rather you agree with the other opinions or not. The only person being defended is the original poster. This rivalry of who's better, really isn't productive or what the poster needs nor does it have anything to do with the question at hand. Stay on topic or don't post.

Thanks for editing your post. 8)
Old 07-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #35

Sorry. I edited my post for your viewing pleasure.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:26 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agree with lando on the research. Getting an unfished stand is a great idea, you can make it match your house intead of standing out.

Quick suggestion on your budget for the immediate future. Skip the skimmer, skip the plants, and skip the fish. That will save you $110. It will take a month or so to get everything set up and cycled. Until that's done you can't have fish anyway, and without fish you don't need a skimmer. And really, with a good dsb and LR filtration, you don't really need a skimmer for fish only. It should do a pretty good job of reducing nitrate all by itself. You can add a skimmer later as the need arrises.

Put the saved money in the bank for the next month or so until you're ready to go. And personaly, instead of fake plants, I'd take that money and buy 1 or 2 pieces of good looking live rock. The coraline and other life on it will spread throughout all your base rock. Slow but cheap and easy way to end up with a tank full of good looking live rock. I started with 3 pieces and now have about 150lbs of good looking rock. It just took a couple years to happen

For powerheads, you want to turn the tank over at least 10 times an hour. For a 55g tank you're looking at needing around 550gph of flow. A single 600+gph powerhead split into 2 outputs or a pair of 300gph powerheads put on either side of the tank would be ideal.

And lastly, remember to get sand marked as playsand. Construction grade sand is full of nasty stuff.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:08 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

awesome info indy, I am close to buying a salt water knowing I can afford it! I searched bigals and found this:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...;pcid1=;pcid2=

It says its for 40-70 gallon tanks, but only puts out 350 gallons per hour(and what does reverse do?). Do I need more power since I will be lacking other equipment?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The reverse is for use with an undergravel filter. I would suggest that you use 2 of those powerheads in a 55 gal tank. You could place them on the back wall and aim them at each other to get a nice turbulent water flow in the tank
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as FW & SW, they both have their place in the hobby. You can see why most websites dedicate themselves to one side or the other because people are deeply committed to their "side." LOL! That's why I like AA because we can get great perspective and experience from both salt and fresh people.

As far as equipment and the like, you have to agree that people differ in how resourceful they are or how patient. I have no interest or skill or equipment to make my own stand so I'd buy it new or used. I admire you DIY folks. I'm only so-so as far as locating things on sale or in the paper.

On the FW side, who doesn't enjoy the dog-like devotion of an oscar or the regal beauty of discus or angels. Some underwater gardens are lovely. Personally, I want to graduate to a planted discus tank eventually. This is not to say that saltwater set ups aren't just as neat, I just want to do a discus tank :P

coolchinchilla
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

$10- Instant Ocean salt bag

$10- Sand from Home Depot

$30- Live Rock(How much would I need just to start? Is this a reasonable cost? If I buy just a couple would other base rock eventually become alive? I can wait for that to happen if its true. I have no plans for coral in the near future.)

$50- 2 x 300GPH powerheads, from Ebay

$50- Fish. I know this is cheap, but it will expand with time. I don't need a spectacular aquarium right away, just add to it as the money comes.

$20- Plants.

$30- Water Kit.

Total: 240
+200
= 425

Is this really all I need? Seems like not a big deal considering its a saltwater tank. Is there any where I could cut costs? Again, thanks for your help.

Tags
build, fresh, ich, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com