Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tifta
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfound77951 View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "saltwater" tank. Pretty much any tank can be used for SW. The only caveats would be one of those ancient metal framed tanks, or a tank that was used for FW and dosed with copper containing meds.

You can start with a FOWLR tank and then get some corals later. That's what I did. Live rock on its own doesn't need special lighting but you can have that lighting if you want. I have a friend with a 29 gallon reef tank with 2x65 watt CFs and he has several happy soft corals in there.

Most salties don't actually use a filter, at least in the freshwater sense. The biological filtration in a FOWLR or reef tank is provided by the live rock. A skimmer helps to remove excess organic stuff dissolved in the water, powerheads provide circulation, and a "clean up crew" of snails, hermits and other inverts takes care of most of the detritus. Filter media produces a lot of nitrate which is OK for fish but bad for corals, which is why most reef tanks don't have filters. The only instance that I can think of in a SW setup where you'd want a filter would be a fish-only tank with big, messy eaters like triggers or puffers.

As for fish in a 29g, you're a little limited, but 2-3 small fish would be fine. Damsels are cute and hardy but can be ferocious little beasties. Gobies, blennies, firefish, pygmy angels, clownfish and grammas would be good fish to research. I had 3 fish in my 30 and they were happy but that was definitely enough.

So the basic equipment would be:
-Tank (as big as you can afford)
-some PHs
-heater
-skimmer
-lights (what kind depends on what you want to do)
-salt mix and a refractometer
-base rock and some live rock (base rock is cheaper and will soon become "live")
-substrate (aragonite sand is what most people prefer)
-the usual odds and ends (thermo, nets etc that you probably have), saltwater test kits

Determining which of each of these to get is the hard/fun part, and you'll get plenty of advice on here about that. First thing to decide is what size tank you want, as everything else is kind of based on that.
Thanks so much, that was very helpful! I had no idea that filters were not used for saltwater tanks. That tells me I still have a lot to learn.

As for live rock, I can get some at my LFS I think it was ten pounds for 5.99 I don't know if that is a good deal or not. As for FOWLR I have no idea what that is, but will do some research on it.

Tifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Um, I use filters on my SW tanks. I use them for extra water volume, more LR rubble space and to run different media types, like purigen or GAC, if needed.
There are plenty of folks that also run skimmers, I just haven't gotten into those just yet.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

FOWLR stands for Fish Only With Live Rock. Which is just saying what you have in your tank. As for the 10 pounds for 5.99 that is a great deal as long as it is good quality rock. Most online suppliers charge as much as 5 dollars per pound.

Roka what type of filter do you use in your tank?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I have a Fluvial 304 on my 55 and the awesome FX5 on my 125.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thought there was no need to have a filter as long as you have live rock and a skimmer and a cleaning crew. Do you have the filter becasue you dont have skimmer?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I like the ability to switch out media, if needed. It's just the way I started out (I didn't know what a skimmer was back then). I also like to scrape the glass, let the filter pick up everything and then clean it out the next day. On my 55 I don't have room for a skimmer and 1 kitten that likes to get on the tank, so an HOB skimmer is also out of the question.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
Thanx but no.....

cured LR for 5.99/10 .. I'll take a guess that it's 5.99/lb w/ a 10lb minimum maybe. If not you should buy it bulk and open an ebay store !
Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am confused now, should i use a filter or not? And should I get a skimmer for it?

I am pretty sure, it was 5.99 for ten pounds or was it 5 lbs for 5.99?, it was all in a huge pool with fish swimming around in it. I want to buy my rock there, but I am not sure how much i might need for a 29 gallon tank.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

You don't need both, but you certainly can have both. I never see the need for a skimmer in anything under 40g so I would opt for an Aquaclear 110 (I'm rather partial to them) assuming this would be a stand-alone system and not an all-in-one or contain an overflow. These hang-on-back filters are also easily modified and can keep two 50w heaters with the main compartment free for more live rock, algae, etc. If you plan on sps corals one day, you would eventually need an extra powerhead or device to create more flow. Even more confused? :P
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

urrr aaaah eehhh little confused. It makes sense though. I might use a filter. So fish won't die if I don't get skimmer? Or does it just make life easier?

Tags
fresh, fresh water, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com