Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
base rock

It absolutely is. Just add rock and a piece of raw cocktail shrimp. It will take 3-6 weeks.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just going to tell you what I would do is phone some water treatment places there and ask them if they are able to pick up the smallest trace of copper with their equipment....my DH worked in water treatment for many years and he said that any water place that has good equipment should be able to detect it....

Its worth a try..

Good luck and make sure to let me know if you were able to find anything out....

the grim reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
were you cycling the tank and had a bloom?

Most of the reading I ve done talks about phos in water can cause algae blooms to use a resin to remove things like exceess phos, when I did this the algae died off very quickly in less than a couple days.
I would avoid using a chemical in my tanks, as with meds everything has side effects.
Is there a heavy metal resign that you can put in a bio-bag to maybe chelate out that copper.

PS I use this when needed to remove phos and silica
phos guard may help remove metal similar to resign bed in RO systems
Old 12-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys thanks for the replies,I have been reading and asking around on some other forums.Apparantly the copper adsorbs onto all surfaces including the glass and especially the calcium based sand bed i have in the tank right now,because when I added the salt, traces of copper began to leech out of the glass(and will continue to leech out slowly for months or years)it quickly finds a home in the sand were inverts live and feed.
So what im going to do is take the tank down and dump sand and start over.Before I do that I must scrub the tank in two stages.The first being a vinegar then rinsing, then a scrubing with bleach then rinsing very well.
After that im told to add ro/di water this time new live sand and a couple pieces of cheap cured LR wait about 5 days then add 2 or 3 "test" snails. If the snails make it for 3 or 4 weeks i should be safe to add the rest of my LR rock and be on my way from there. If not well...time for a new tank

Thanks for all your time everyone,

RHINO13 is offline   Reply With Quote

freshwater, freshwater tank, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com