Freshwater tank turned into Saltwater tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RHINO13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone i am sad, I have just been informed that the previous owner of my 46 gal bowfront had to treat the tank with Jungle No More Algae(cotains.05% copper sulfate pentahydrate) I have been asking around and im getting some people that say i should get a new tank,sand and water(inverts will die)

My tank has been up and running with Saltwater(mix) for about 3 weeks and i added 60lbs of Carib-Sea Arag-Alive about 2 weeks ago (before i knew of this potental problem)

I really dont want to rebuy a new tank salt and sand, i was going to purchase my live rock and add it within the next week but i am now scared of wasting more money on this tank.

Any opinion on this would be of great help

Get a copper test. If I remember, that might be a small enough amount not to harm anything. Definitely wait until others can confirm or deny my previous statement!
In the mean time, run carbon and definitely get a copper test kit.

Hi roka64 thanks for the reply but most people that say to get a new tank tell me that most copper tests do not measure low enough ppb that i need. They say that most of them test in the ranges that you would have to have your tank while you are treating your tank while medicating with copper based medication. Im so bummed out I dont know what to do

Most people that say get a new tank tell me that it would need to test ppb(parts per billon) In my exact situation,what would you do roca? Money is pretty tight right now but should get better after Christmas

Hmmm, I was hoping a few other folks would jump in and make some suggestions.
I posted this question to the mentors. We should get some good suggestions.

Thanks roka I will be waiting, I guess thats all I can do at this point :cry:

It is really hard to tell just how much was used in the tank and as you know inverts are very sensitive to copper.

The problem is that even with a good cleaning it can seep back out from the silicone into the tank.

All may not be lost yet. If it were a standard tank I would tell you replace it but bows are more costly.

You coould add water, some cheap base rock, and add a few inverts after the cycle to test it out.

You could also clean the tank VERY well, strip silicone, and re-seal if you really wanted to be safe. I have resealed 3 tanks but I would have to double check with a bow. I believe it is the same. You really dont want this reef up and going just to tear it down.

As far as the copper test it probably does not test low enough but it is a good starting point to see where you stand.

Thanks for the reply Mike I have a dumb question. Is it posible to cycle a tank with base rock alone? I feel like I should know the anwser to that, but this is a Getting started forum :wink:

I'd try the copper test just to see what happens. I've heard good things about them. Also, you might check out CupriSorb by Seachem.

If you do these to things, you'd probably be ok to try some Nassarius snails and see what happens

base rock

It absolutely is. Just add rock and a piece of raw cocktail shrimp. It will take 3-6 weeks.

I was just going to tell you what I would do is phone some water treatment places there and ask them if they are able to pick up the smallest trace of copper with their equipment....my DH worked in water treatment for many years and he said that any water place that has good equipment should be able to detect it....

Its worth a try..

Good luck and make sure to let me know if you were able to find anything out....

were you cycling the tank and had a bloom?

HI,
Most of the reading I ve done talks about phos in water can cause algae blooms to use a resin to remove things like exceess phos, when I did this the algae died off very quickly in less than a couple days.
I would avoid using a chemical in my tanks, as with meds everything has side effects.
Is there a heavy metal resign that you can put in a bio-bag to maybe chelate out that copper.
Doug

PS I use this when needed to remove phos and silica
phos guard may help remove metal similar to resign bed in RO systems

Ok guys thanks for the replies,I have been reading and asking around on some other forums.Apparantly the copper adsorbs onto all surfaces including the glass and especially the calcium based sand bed i have in the tank right now,because when I added the salt, traces of copper began to leech out of the glass(and will continue to leech out slowly for months or years)it quickly finds a home in the sand were inverts live and feed.
So what im going to do is take the tank down and dump sand and start over.Before I do that I must scrub the tank in two stages.The first being a vinegar then rinsing, then a scrubing with bleach then rinsing very well.
After that im told to add ro/di water this time new live sand and a couple pieces of cheap cured LR wait about 5 days then add 2 or 3 "test" snails. If the snails make it for 3 or 4 weeks i should be safe to add the rest of my LR rock and be on my way from there. :D If not well...time for a new tank :cry:

Thanks for all your time everyone,
Ryan

Back
Top Bottom