Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Freshwater tank turned into Saltwater tank???

Hi everyone i am sad, I have just been informed that the previous owner of my 46 gal bowfront had to treat the tank with Jungle No More Algae(cotains.05% copper sulfate pentahydrate) I have been asking around and im getting some people that say i should get a new tank,sand and water(inverts will die)

My tank has been up and running with Saltwater(mix) for about 3 weeks and i added 60lbs of Carib-Sea Arag-Alive about 2 weeks ago (before i knew of this potental problem)

I really dont want to rebuy a new tank salt and sand, i was going to purchase my live rock and add it within the next week but i am now scared of wasting more money on this tank.

Any opinion on this would be of great help

Old 12-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Get a copper test. If I remember, that might be a small enough amount not to harm anything. Definitely wait until others can confirm or deny my previous statement!
In the mean time, run carbon and definitely get a copper test kit.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #3

Hi roka64 thanks for the reply but most people that say to get a new tank tell me that most copper tests do not measure low enough ppb that i need. They say that most of them test in the ranges that you would have to have your tank while you are treating your tank while medicating with copper based medication. Im so bummed out I dont know what to do
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

This copper test goes from 0-5ppm.
But then again, it is better safe than sorry.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #5

Most people that say get a new tank tell me that it would need to test ppb(parts per billon) In my exact situation,what would you do roca? Money is pretty tight right now but should get better after Christmas
Old 12-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm, I was hoping a few other folks would jump in and make some suggestions.
I posted this question to the mentors. We should get some good suggestions.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #7

Thanks roka I will be waiting, I guess thats all I can do at this point
Old 12-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #8

It is really hard to tell just how much was used in the tank and as you know inverts are very sensitive to copper.

The problem is that even with a good cleaning it can seep back out from the silicone into the tank.

All may not be lost yet. If it were a standard tank I would tell you replace it but bows are more costly.

You coould add water, some cheap base rock, and add a few inverts after the cycle to test it out.

You could also clean the tank VERY well, strip silicone, and re-seal if you really wanted to be safe. I have resealed 3 tanks but I would have to double check with a bow. I believe it is the same. You really dont want this reef up and going just to tear it down.

As far as the copper test it probably does not test low enough but it is a good starting point to see where you stand.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:27 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply Mike I have a dumb question. Is it posible to cycle a tank with base rock alone? I feel like I should know the anwser to that, but this is a Getting started forum
Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd try the copper test just to see what happens. I've heard good things about them. Also, you might check out CupriSorb by Seachem.

If you do these to things, you'd probably be ok to try some Nassarius snails and see what happens

Tags
freshwater, freshwater tank, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com