freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
It's best to get a few different kind of foods to liven up their diet. I rotate between flakes, pellets and a myriad of frozen food cubes.

I believe the cardinals are carnivores so anything like brine shrimp, or mysis shrimp should do the trick. :)

I fed him nls sinking pellets this morning on my way out the door. The same ones Ive started feeding our cichlids.

Don't know if he actually ate. I was running late to work.

I am happy to have have something "swimming" around in the tank now. I'm going to be working on the sump ( cutting it down and resealing it over the next 2 weeks. Then payday and imma buy a skimmer overflow box and hopefully a pump. It will be nice to have that up and running too

For sure try and get some frozen cubes, my fish go crazy over them. They even have a multi pack with 4 varieties so you can gauge which ones the fish like the most. :)

just got back from the lfs. $60 budget for a couple more fish. $110 later we ended up with a black and white clown, a peppermint shrimp, a regular? clown fish, and a lemon jake. i hate this hobby some times. cant say no to the fish.

they all ate. and the poor cardnel from last night is being more social now that there is something to interact with other than rock.

the lfs guy said my worm was a bristle worm and to get rid of it asap. why do some say keep it and some say kill it?

It can sting for one thing BUT it also can help clean up your tank of uneaten food. Some consider it free cuc. :)

It can sting for one thing BUT it also can help clean up your tank of uneaten food. Some consider it free cuc. :)

what about eating my corrals that will some day live in my tank. or my fish or invertebrates?

also, one or two fish that sweety pie and i would like to see are mandarin gobys. they are sooo pretty so i want more than one. is that possable? how long do i need to wait for pods to grow? or buy them???? to seed my tank?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but its gonna be extremely hard... you nees to have a serious pod population

There are sooo many threads on this check some out. A single mandarin can go through multiple bottles in a week and at $15 a pop, well, you do the math. lol

You cand get a mated pair from what Ihave heard but cannot mix and match them, again, just what i ran into when I was researching.

Do you have a refugium? How much live rock? The more live rock the better and if you have a refugium you can seed that with bottles of pods to help. It;s a beautiful fish but a devil to care for. Mine is finally eating mostly frozen now, after weeks of not caring to and me stressing out BIG time. I still watch her like a hawk though to make sure she is eating. So far she only has tried mysis a few times and will eat a decent amount of cyclops.

keep in mind too that i bought an ORA blue mandarin which was tank raised on pellets but when I got her she wanted no part of anything but pods. Even ORA ones can revert back to pods at the drop of a hat. Whats' really sad is it takes months for them to slowly starve...Mine is getting a tiny belly but if I get any sign that she's not eating then into the 125g with refugium and 200lbs of live rock.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but its gonna be extremely hard... you nees to have a serious pod population

your not the bearer of bad news. ive read it before. but that is part of my long term wants. 6 months down the road, a year. i know it will be awhile, i just want to know what i can do now to help facilitate having one later.

and carey you mentioned that there are alot of threads on pod population, i will start doing some searches here.

you have already educated me some buy saying i can put those bottles in my fuge. (once its built, i started it tonight. not much progress but it is in the works.)

everyone has been helpful with what knowledge they have and i thank you all for chiming in. and look forward to what ever words you have to offer.

short term: we want a fish population. a shrimp population, and crab population. nothing over stocked or close to it.

it is so nice seeing fish swimming in our saltwater tank. it seemed like it was never going to happen. we will wait it out for 2 more weeks to let the tank stabilize with its new bio load. and our bank accounts to fill back up.

current stock
2 clowns
1 pajama cardinal
1 peppermint shrimp
2 hermit crabs.

and at least 1 bristle worm.

Do you have a refugium? How much live rock? The more live rock the better and if you have a refugium you can seed that with bottles of pods to help.

curently we have about 80lbs of lr in our 75g dt.

im building the sump now. just striped the top frame off of our old 55g. i need to cut it down to have it be 14 inches tall and i am going to try to dedicate as much of it to the refugium as possible. 30-35 inches of its 48" length. more if i can.

dsb lr and macro. with a squiggly light is what i was thinking.

Down the road a bit, a mandarin is def an option, but I would prob steer away from more than 1. Its just the sheer number of pods they eat, and as carey mentioned, even ORA-tanked raised mandarins can revert to pods overnight. You def have.the right mindset and patience, in 6 months I dont see it being a far stretch to say that youll be able to sustain a big-bellied mandarin :)

Down the road a bit, a mandarin is def an option, but I would prob steer away from more than 1. Its just the sheer number of pods they eat, and as carey mentioned, even ORA-tanked raised mandarins can revert to pods overnight. You def have.the right mindset and patience, in 6 months I dont see it being a far stretch to say that youll be able to sustain a big-bellied mandarin :)

thank you, i can live with one in the 75g. just know that i will have to have one in the 180g when i get it up and going 5-10 years from now.

yeah i read that, and i look forward to your write ups with it. i do like the depth of the 180... just seems like a person can do some pretty cool saltwater stuff with that. right now i dont know what that may be but its gotta be cool. ive got alot of stuff to work out first but it is going to happen, even if i have to work a couple part time jobs... to get it.

coffeetwitch said:
yeah i read that, and i look forward to your write ups with it. i do like the depth of the 180... just seems like a person can do some pretty cool saltwater stuff with that. right now i dont know what that may be but its gotta be cool. ive got alot of stuff to work out first but it is going to happen, even if i have to work a couple part time jobs... to get it.

Idk, but it'll be YouTube worthy... Lmao

Yeah, I just got the ok for a 125 gal... Can't imagine a 180 gal!!!

it was in a thread im subscribed to, but it was said that surface area is what a person needs for a fuge im glad you are getting to use a 75g. i would like to do the same but ive got to make what i have work.

Back
Top Bottom