Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #1531
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwright1971

That's why I said I could only recomend this for a durso setup they are designed to run this way. And are extremly quii et due to the balanced syphon they maintain, when the balance shifts they make noise alerting you to adjust.
I apologise if this sounded at all rude, it was not meant to be.

20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #1532
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think it sounded rude at all.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #1533
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
oh forgot to mention that i found a cool little tool in the pvc isle at hd. fo those of us using a portable rodi unit this little tool will thread onto the hose end of the supply and you can measure your water pressure. i think mine is supposed to be like 68psi max, and min is 32psi. why i remember those numbers i have no idea, but what i had for breakfast escapes me.
I need one of these I think my pressure may be low..
20 brackish
Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #1534
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would also like to mention that one of the reasons i chose 1" beside 1.25" looking so huge was i read that 1" pipe was used on reef ready overflow tanks. well, the smaller ones like a 75g.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #1535
Aquarium Advice Addict

here is a thought... maybe i dont need to flow 800gph at 4 feet. maybe i need to look into a smaller return pump. i just had it stuck in my head that i needed to buy the danner 9.5
Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #1536
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
i would also like to mention that one of the reasons i chose 1" beside 1.25" looking so huge was i read that 1" pipe was used on reef ready overflow tanks. well, the smaller ones like a 75g.
1" is used for the pump pushing the water back to the DT where the bulkhead for the intake will only take 1 1/4".
Of course all I have is a pre-drilled (reef ready) tank with overflow boxes... So I got the easy way out, decision was made for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwright1971

I apologise if this sounded at all rude, it was not meant to be.
No problem didnt take it personally. And usually it's hard to communicate like that if all you have is letters and no voice or facial expressions to go by... U guys are missing out on me using my hands as a way of expression, I'm deadly with my hands when I'm talking LOL
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #1537
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Somewhere I once read that you only need 5 times your aquarium volume per hour through your sump, the rest of the flow can be made up with powerheads or closed loop. So 5 times 75 is 375 gph right? That's so that your protien skimmer or media reactors have time to process the water.... of course this may or may not be true. But it was something that stuck in my head once.
20 brackish
Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #1538
Aquarium Advice Freak

Flexpvc.com ha a flow chart that will show you what you can get out of the different diameters of pipe
Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #1539
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
1" is used for the pump pushing the water back to the DT where the bulkhead for the intake will only take 1 1/4".
Of course all I have is a pre-drilled (reef ready) tank with overflow boxes... So I got the easy way out, decision was made for me.

No problem didnt take it personally. And usually it's hard to communicate like that if all you have is letters and no voice or facial expressions to go by... U guys are missing out on me using my hands as a way of expression, I'm deadly with my hands when I'm talking LOL

yeah and carey's is a 1"overflow pipe and a 3/4 return line on her 90g reef ready that she may have a stand for by now.

second part is that im liking seeing faces for avatars. makes it a little easier to "read" how a person talks. hand gestures that kill me are when they dont see you walking up to an existing conversation and almost take my head off...
Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 AM   #1540
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry hadn't read you already figured it out yet

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com