Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #1561
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

I see a problem with your design, the part inside the aquarium need to be lower than the t. diy overflows - Oscarfishlover.com

20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #1562
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

or you could go all crazy an do something like this

20 brackish
Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #1563
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwright1971
What in the world... That must be one sick person LOL
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #1564
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any bend in your flow will reduce the possible flow rate to some extent. That's why a lot o DIY's use hoses instead of pipes. Getting everything adjusted properly will take a lot of trial and error. But I guess that's the fun of a DIY project?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #1565
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwright1971 View Post
I see a problem with your design, the part inside the aquarium need to be lower than the t. diy overflows - Oscarfishlover.com
the decision to do what i did was bases off of post #3 here all pvc overflow flow rates?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #1566
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

i saw this one on google too, i think there is a video or at least a picture of it built and on the tank.

this is what i keep running into. there are no specs on these builds.

you know how when you go to the grocery store and look at the nutritional data... pick up 4 boxes of cereal read it and the related ingredients. then figure out what would be best for you after seeing them all side by side. thats what i would like for these diy overflows.

oh well, i will learn. every one pays for an education in some way shape or form.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #1567
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch

the decision to do what i did was bases off of post #3 here all pvc overflow flow rates?
I also read that his syphon break is only an inch below the waterline, your t is your syphon break, if is lower than the u bend on the inside of the aquarium then it won't break the syphon until it has emptied your overflow. You need to maintain the water in the pipe so that when the water starts to go into the pipe it already has the syphon. You can either raise the syphon break or lower the inside u to maintain the syphon when your pump shuts off. Hth
20 brackish
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #1568
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I also read that his syphon break is only an inch below the waterline, your t is your syphon break, if is lower than the u bend on the inside of the aquarium then it won't break the syphon until it has emptied your overflow. You need to maintain the water in the pipe so that when the water starts to go into the pipe it already has the syphon. You can either raise the syphon break or lower the inside u to maintain the syphon when your pump shuts off. Hth

you sir are correct!!! thank you for the heads up.

i just tested it in the sink. every time i got it primed it lost it when i stopped the water...

ill have to make the appropriate changes.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #1569
Aquarium Advice Addict

what would happen if i put the bottom u thats in the tank lower than the "t" on the outside?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #1570
Aquarium Advice Addict

it would work very well. thats what would happen.

i changed it around to match something similar to what. tdwright said. only i did put the in tank bottom u lower than the t on the outside. drilled and taped for the air valve on the top. sadly i didnt get it quit vertical. stuck it under the tub faucet and let it run. it may have been the pressure of the water coming out but it started draining right out of the box. i didnt have to prime the back tube and suck the air out. i tested a quick power out and it started back up. even with the check valve out and no suction.

how much did it flow? idk.

but with the tub faucet half open it kept up , with the faucet full blast not so much. granted there was some spillage on the in pipe because of size difference. i know some of the joints haven't fully cured before i started pushing water through so hopefully i didn't mess that up too bad. still pretty cool to see it work as well as it did.

i was thinking just putting a sponge on top of the suction tube instead of an elbow or egg create or something like that. maybe a 2" or 3" to 1" reducer depending on what i have room for, that should help out a lot as far as linear overflow goes.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com