Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #1571
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
tdwright1971's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Fork Arkansas
Posts: 156
Gutter gaurd the plastic kind works well.... a sponge would quickly fill up and block your flow I would think. Maybe with a coarse enough sponge it might work.
__________________

__________________
75 and 36b reef tanks
180 new world cichlid tanks
60 planted
20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #1572
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coffeetwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 3,690
i was thinking a supper corse sponge like i got with my fluval canister filter. not that just that porous.
__________________

__________________
coffeetwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #1573
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
tdwright1971's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Fork Arkansas
Posts: 156
well its right there on top and easy enough to change if you dont like it. I say go for it
__________________
75 and 36b reef tanks
180 new world cichlid tanks
60 planted
20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #1574
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coffeetwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 3,690
yeah thats what i was thinking. and easy to clean if need be...

guys im so lonst on this plumbing now.

some of these questions i have asked before, sorry for the repitition.

so i make a smaller overflow for the fuge. 1/2pvc "flows 200" gph.

two overflows. one pump, so i would need a pump capable of ???


another option is a pump that flows??? and t on the return or supply line to the fuge?

or i keep this overflow and redo my sump to its more of a linear progression to the pump
__________________
coffeetwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #1575
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coffeetwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 3,690
current plan is this:

i will run the existing 1" overflow for the skimmer section.

i build an overflow just for the refugium section. i will duplicate the one i have just made, except out of 3/4 pvc.

i will run a mag drive 9.5 for the return. from the return's trunk line i will "t" left and right with a valve on each to help balance, more or less, between what the overflows feed or dont. with any luck these will remain fully closed.
__________________
coffeetwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #1576
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ausfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austria
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
yeah thats what i was thinking. and easy to clean if need be...

guys im so lonst on this plumbing now.

some of these questions i have asked before, sorry for the repitition.

so i make a smaller overflow for the fuge. 1/2pvc "flows 200" gph.

two overflows. one pump, so i would need a pump capable of ???

another option is a pump that flows??? and t on the return or supply line to the fuge?

or i keep this overflow and redo my sump to its more of a linear progression to the pump
You don't "need a pump capable of" anything since your overflow will only drain as much as your pump returns into the tank. You just can't get a too big pump since all the water your overflow can't handle to return into the sump will stay in the tank. Hope that helps a little. IMO 2 1.25" lines should handle your 750 or 800 gph just fine.
__________________
___________________________________
my 30g reef with refugium
Ausfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #1577
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausfish

You don't "need a pump capable of" anything since your overflow will only drain as much as your pump returns into the tank. You just can't get a too big pump since all the water your overflow can't handle to return into the sump will stay in the tank. Hope that helps a little. IMO 2 1.25" lines should handle your 750 or 800 gph just fine.
+1

And coffee, don't drive yourself crazy with this, I know it gets really confusing after a while and you wanna do it right, but a lot of it is try-and-error
__________________
30g SW reef (moving)
120g SW reef (55g sump)
ignore my spelling! I'm a science major, not an English major
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #1578
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coffeetwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 3,690
I was snooping around in the DIY area. Was chatting with a guy about his twin pipe set up. I have moments where things make sense, since? Whatever. Anyway, I'm still lost on flow rates but I'm not shy on building anymore. I'm digging up the idea from idk how many pages ago, and build an overflow out of 3/4 just for the refugium. And the 1" that I have for the skimmer. And run the mag 9.5. If it's wrong I have filtration that works until I fix it. If I have to build again oh well, I like making stuff. If I have to change pumps I will. Trial and error right? At this point I'm curious about this stuff and would like to learn facts behind some of this.
__________________
coffeetwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #1579
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
I was snooping around in the DIY area. Was chatting with a guy about his twin pipe set up. I have moments where things make sense, since? Whatever. Anyway, I'm still lost on flow rates but I'm not shy on building anymore. I'm digging up the idea from idk how many pages ago, and build an overflow out of 3/4 just for the refugium. And the 1" that I have for the skimmer. And run the mag 9.5. If it's wrong I have filtration that works until I fix it. If I have to build again oh well, I like making stuff. If I have to change pumps I will. Trial and error right? At this point I'm curious about this stuff and would like to learn facts behind some of this.
Sounds great. You'll figure it out eventually. Hey, if Blondie here can do it, everybody can
__________________
30g SW reef (moving)
120g SW reef (55g sump)
ignore my spelling! I'm a science major, not an English major
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #1580
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coffeetwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: springfield mo
Posts: 3,690
Hey blondie, blond doesn't mean anything.


Now I'm going to reread some stuff to figure out what you figured out
__________________

__________________
coffeetwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can nerite snails switch from saltwater to freshwater? maxwellag Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 07-01-2012 09:51 AM
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
I was wondering if I could increase the number of fish in my 26 gallon tank SteveFishman Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 08-09-2011 11:51 PM
What are your thoughts on Petco selling Saltwater fish?? gwolfe Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 15 06-29-2011 02:43 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.