Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #1801
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707 View Post
Lol... What? (15 letters)
telling me not to overkill, that seems to be what i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post

Caulupera for example does, when nit taken care of right or when growing too much, release spores into the water. It turns ur entire tank green and kills stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle View Post
I think he is talking about sexual reproduction. That is when the algae releases a bunch of spores and they put a lot of bad things into you water.
i will not add caulupera then. see that makes it easy.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #1802
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch

telling me not to overkill, that seems to be what i do.

i will not add caulupera then. see that makes it easy.
Calupera has the beat reputation for filtration though. I MAY add it in a year or so when I feel more comfortable and the tank is more mature

@Green: it's a she LOL figured the pic is a dead give-away... Unless I look man-ly (an d nobody told me) O.O

Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #1803
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn

Calupera has the beat reputation for filtration though. I MAY add it in a year or so when I feel more comfortable and the tank is more mature

@Green: it's a she LOL figured the pic is a dead give-away... Unless I look man-ly (an d nobody told me) O.O
I like Calupera, eats trates. It only gets sexual if it can't grow. Just tear a lil off and ur good, pass the tear off to a fellow hobbyists... Lol
Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #1804
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I almost never look at usernames when I answer questions :/ didn't mean to offend you.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #1805
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle
Sorry, I almost never look at usernames when I answer questions :/ didn't mean to offend you.
Don't worry about it, was just teasing
Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #1806
Aquarium Advice Addict

dont worry greenturtle. im not offended.

ha this is what the 2nd time you have been assumed to be a boy unicorn.
at least that ive read.

i did some more playing around with my pvc overflow today while i had daylight. i have gone as far as cutting it apart and trying a couple different configurations and then using 3" pipe as the water inlet all the way down to the first "u". i tried moving the spillway that goes down to the sump all the way up to the top. so far the way i had it does the best job.

i used a different water sorce than the outside hose and the kitchen faucet. still used the outside hose but this time i used the washing machine spigot for extra water flow. i did some rough math and i can easily flow 786gph through this thing using those two hoses. then when i took the in tank down spout off to try another configuration. it not only continued to flow the two hoses but sucked the water level that was in the trashcan down to new level of the inlet. that was 786 gph flow from the hoses then an extra capacity of a 12" drop of a standard walmart 13 gallon white trashcan in a few seconds. a few seconds to drain what, 3-4 extra gallons?

now all ive got to do is put this thing back together. and paint. i am very pleased with this.

now i just hope that it performs equally well hanging on the tank as it did this afternoon.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #1807
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
i did some more playing around with my pvc overflow today while i had daylight. i have gone as far as cutting it apart and trying a couple different configurations and then using 3" pipe as the water inlet all the way down to the first "u". i tried moving the spillway that goes down to the sump all the way up to the top. so far the way i had it does the best job.

i used a different water sorce than the outside hose and the kitchen faucet. still used the outside hose but this time i used the washing machine spigot for extra water flow. i did some rough math and i can easily flow 786gph through this thing using those two hoses. then when i took the in tank down spout off to try another configuration. it not only continued to flow the two hoses but sucked the water level that was in the trashcan down to new level of the inlet. that was 786 gph flow from the hoses then an extra capacity of a 12" drop of a standard walmart 13 gallon white trashcan in a few seconds. a few seconds to drain what, 3-4 extra gallons?

now all ive got to do is put this thing back together. and paint. i am very pleased with this.

now i just hope that it performs equally well hanging on the tank as it did this afternoon.
Things are coming along, good job! I've never seen anybody being so specific with their built LOL dont think I could have done that. Hope it will all fall to place.

The scariest moment for me was that moment of truth! That one second were you flick that on-switch and the plumbing is doing it's magic... I was scared poop-less LOL

Quote:
ha this is what the 2nd time you have been assumed to be a boy unicorn.
at least that ive read
I know right!!! I don't really mind, but it's funny none the less
But I do the same thing, so I'm not really offended by it

It's funny though: most of my friends are guys, and I'm not really a tomboy either. I'm just a girly-girl interested in boy-stuff (except for cars/motorcycles and sports)... So hope my kids are gonna be boys hahaha we can go fishing, do DIY stuff, play video games and then grill outside perfect
Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #1808
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
So hope my kids are gonna be boys hahaha we can go fishing, do DIY stuff, play video games and then grill outside perfect
Wish I could get my partner to feel that way! LOL!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #1809
Aquarium Advice Addict

I try to be specific. I know I can't be the only person out there that is looking for hard information. As suggested, once I get this thing up and running imma do a "quick" write up on this **** DIY PVC overflow. At least then a person won't have to read through as many pages of MY silliness just to find out it wasn't the info they where looking for.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #1810
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
could you imagine reading 180+ pages to build it.... lol im sure you did!!!

I know when i was looking at designing my sump i probably saw 100 different designs with several or more pages each.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com