Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Why dont you just put the LR in the 75? If you want it to be more stable I suggest rock first and then put the sand on top.
And I'm not sure if it is I highly doubt it though. And yeah BB will be in a canister filter. I recommend a sump though, if at all possible.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes i wholeheartedly agree with the sump. i think end goal for sump maybe a berlin style sump with a separate refugium. but this slow progression from just a saltwater fish tank to fowlr to reef with fish is how we have to do it now. unless anyone wants to paypal to the cause... i joke on that last sentence...

i spent the last 3+ hours removing all the old seals... i dont recommend it unless you where the kid in school that always drug your nails across the blackboard just for kicks. i still have to do some cleaning to remove the last bits of silicone shavings. i was expecting to have it painted tonight. oh well.

so tomorrow its to the hardware store to buy some caulk. any body know if the frame is reusable with that crack in it?

i like how people add links to what they are talking about so imma try to do the same thing...

anyway i found a replacement at glasscages. down at the bottom the 48x18 should be what i need... 30 some odd dollars latter i can have a new one but that would mean more waiting.... i want some immediate gratification if possible.
Glasscages.com - Tank Frames
and here is one for the caulk
Shop for Silicone II 9.8 Oz. Window and Door Black-GE5030 12C at The Home Depot

Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Converting a Freshwater Aquarium into a Saltwater Tank - Algone.com

so who knows...

im also wondering about my circulation pump... its only a 75 gallon tank, are 2 koralia evolution 750's going to be two much flow?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
Converting a Freshwater Aquarium into a Saltwater Tank - Algone.com

so who knows...

im also wondering about my circulation pump... its only a 75 gallon tank, are 2 koralia evolution 750's going to be two much flow?
I have a 1300gph ph and a 750gph ph in my 75g.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

ha. thanks slitherbomb, i retract my concern.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I run 2 750's in my 55g as well, so you should be fine
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

kk so its seconded. any input on the frame? what about the lr? or the bb in the canisters being good to go for saltwater?

speaking of lr i was really liking the puckani
Pukani Shelf Rock
or
Pukani and Fiji Reef Saver Live Rock For Aquariums - bannerads - English
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What you can do is get a small amount of live rock and the rest "dead" or base rock from a place like this

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

I've purchased from from them quite a few times and have always been satisfied.

The dead rock will become live over a couple weeks and after a month or two you wont be able to tell the difference. AND its soo much cheaper.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have a folder in my bookmarks of all the good links given or found. they are one of them. i remember you using reefcleaners for you 125 build. puckani looks interesting. and we where going to get some live rock. one of the lfs actually has puckani. it looks interesting enough and size to weight is good. bigger rock weighs less. that same store also has a fairly good price on the figi. with in a dollar and some change of some of the online prices for lr with no weight restrictions. one store would sell it for 5.50 if we bought 25lbs or more. how much lr to base would i need to do"
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would aim for at least a total of 100lb of more in a 75. So even a 15% live rock with the rest being base would be a good start. I believe it's recommended to have 1.5lb -2 lbs a gallon.

Nice porous rock will be great too as there is more surface area for the bacteria and critters to hide in.

The lfs's near me charge anywhere from 5.99 to 7.99 a lb for fiji around here so 5.50 sounds good. Plus you can get some of the cooler shapes which is what you seem to want. Me, I just went with regular rock, theodd shapes made my head spin abit. LOL

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com