freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Obviously not every sump iss designed the same, so each ones ability to filter varies. (dependent on filter media, #of chambers, size and flow of refugium. going with a half volume sump compared to your dt is a safe starting point, ( if your dt is 40g , go with 20g sump,etc) There are members on here that are sump building wizards, but for the majority of us, not so much lol

i have another question besides the hob skimmer and dedicated refugium.

can i pull my canister filters off my tank now and just let the live rock filter, or should i wait until i make up my mind and get a skimmer running?

somewhere i found a calculator for sump size, I did some complex math and came up with a return area of 5 gallons for my tanks( a 75 and a 36) based on the return flow and height with the overflow baffles. I then added in what size and depth i needed my intake and I was at that time using a modded hob skimmer coralife ssc65 (still using it just added a better pump), which left my refugium in the middle taking up about 5 gallons. My decision for having it be in the middle was I didnt want to divert any flow away from my tanks and i didn't want another pump just for my refugium. This changed with the addition of the new skimmer that will not fit in the first chamber,so i took out my refugium, and may add a remote refugium at a later date. I am using a 29 gallon and with the 5 gallon ato container and the hob skimmer and the fans and the reactors its all pretty much full.
img_1527731_0_49f6e876b331d8f4e742cd4e43895f37.jpg

redid some rock work.
img_1527743_0_874b3cafb797e9d13a1c176559ae380c.jpg

didnt like the right side so this is what i did with it.
img_1527743_1_bbed88d6ff4003661590a5b1f8b84013.jpg

left side looks good to me.
img_1527743_2_478da620ade67fb2cf08e0bc8fb39b25.jpg

middle
img_1527743_3_1f2dfef66fa86bacff7c4f2a505c0526.jpg

Get some base rock from Reef cleaners. That is what I did. And Tdwright, I am planning on a clam and will take that for my toolbox...

somewhere i found a calculator for sump size, I did some complex math and came up with a return area of 5 gallons for my tanks( a 75 and a 36) based on the return flow and height with the overflow baffles. I then added in what size and depth i needed my intake and I was at that time using a modded hob skimmer coralife ssc65 (still using it just added a better pump), which left my refugium in the middle taking up about 5 gallons. My decision for having it be in the middle was I didnt want to divert any flow away from my tanks and i didn't want another pump just for my refugium. This changed with the addition of the new skimmer that will not fit in the first chamber,so i took out my refugium, and may add a remote refugium at a later date. I am using a 29 gallon and with the 5 gallon ato container and the hob skimmer and the fans and the reactors its all pretty much full.
img_1527759_0_49f6e876b331d8f4e742cd4e43895f37.jpg

thank you sir. it helps me to see how everyone's set up looks! never thought about putting the hob on the sump.!!!

Back
Top Bottom