Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

on the lr subject one of the lr peaces we did buy was slime algae, is this bad algae?

Everything You Want to Know About Aquarium Live Rock

as stated in the how to safely add live rock part it seems like using our 55 for lr holding seems like a good idea.

why cant we put the 2 pieces that we bought from the lfs's in the 75 when i get it back together and give it some time with the canister filters then test for ammo/trites/trates and get our black and white clowns?

am i rushing it?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have a hammer if the shapes are too odd. i busted up some larger peices of rock for our cichlids and i thought it made some nice workable chunks.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you are starting from scratch with no livestock then sure you can put in whatever live rock you have or buy. The die off from the rock will only help your cycle.

It's after you have fish and other living things in the tank that you want to cure the live rock in a separate container or tank as the die off will most likely cause a parameter spike which can harm your fish.

I would add as much live rock as you can and then go from there. Base rock can be added at any time, with livestock or not. Theres nothing on that rock to have die off from so no spike.

I had to bust up a few rocks in my time as well, lol, kinda makes for some interesting shapes.

Nothing is saltwater happens quickly, just bear that in mind. You want to be compeltely cycled before adding ANY livestock, including crabs and snails. i t could take a week or weeks to cycle. I;ve found though that saltwater cycles faster than freshwater, I'm pretty sure because of the live rock.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

you said 15% live rock to base. i think we have that. should i be concerned about the green slime algae?

anyone with experience with a wrought iron stand think that it can support 100lbs of rock 80lbs of sand and then water?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

To answer a question the freshwater and saltwater benificial bacteria are different. The k750s will be ok for a while but I have 1050s and wish I had more flow.
20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

im reading too many bad reviews and comments about ge ii and i dont want to wait or spend the money to order black aquarium sealer online. so clear it is.

looks like this is what im buying today for the aquarium

9.8 oz. Clear Silicone I Window and Door Caulk-GE012A 24C at The Home Depot

cheap enough i will buy two just in case one isnt enough.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I couldn't find GE I silicone for my refugium so I just used GE II windows and doors and it works perfectly.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

i guess i have 24-48 hours for someone to tell me not to reuse the old frame.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
I couldn't find GE I silicone for my refugium so I just used GE II windows and doors and it works perfectly.

see thats just it, for every bad story there is a good one.... kinda like maya said in careys thread...use what works for you. that said....
Old 08-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well,i don't have anything to really add,,but IMO i would actually buy the aquarium sealer made for aquariums ...Seems the stuff your looking at doesn't say aquarium safe...i never resealed a tank,but for the long term investment i'd use what is said to be safe...I will follow along ,as i like good build threads...good luck,and have fun

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com