freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
update,

still waiting on payday to see if the deal on the lights go through, eel is in hiding and the corral beauty is starting to swim around the tank now picking at the rocks. she hides when i walk over to get a pic. have one of our sand sifting star hanging out on a rock though. we lost an emerald crab, i can only assume who the culprit is.
img_1534115_0_02640c47712dad0ac7ffd5f41996a605.jpg

Man, u got a star too? Ur brave!!! Lol... I want one, but I'll wait a bit longer.

coffeetwitch said:
brave? why do you say that? what do you know that i dont?

Hard to keep starfish.... They tend to starve, bury themselves and die. All I read they r hard to keep.

They usually require an estabklished tank to survive. They are known to dig under your sand and die there rotting away and sending your parameters off the charts. I also am scared to get one just yet. lol

Are you sure the emerald is dead? Mine just molted I was certain he was dead but I still have 2 emeralds. hehe...took a few days for him to show himself too

coffeetwitch said:
im fairly certian that the emerald was eaten.

ok so this is now becoming a what not to do thread.

Lmao!!! I felt that way too... When I had the nem...

Ok, on another thread I said there are no good "Rules of Thumb". But..... A good rule of thumb is to not do anything until two days after you have posted your intentions on this site somewhere. LOL

Ok, on another thread I said there are no good "Rules of Thumb". But..... A good rule of thumb is to not do anything until two days after you have posted your intentions on this site somewhere. LOL

brother, that is no joke!!!

for the happiness of the fish and my wallet, its a hard lesson.
i would definitely like to keep the eel but ive got no place to put him.

I have been very lucky in that I am short on cash so I can't run out and buy anything. LOL By the time I am ready to buy something I have read hundreds of posts about why I shouldn't buy it. :)

I have heard and read that you can supplement the starfish with food in the sandbed. BUT on the same note a very highly regarded member here thinks that is not possible. SO, I didn't get the star yet, but I think I may be close. My sandbed looks pretty darn active and full of life. But I still am hesitant.

Good luck with yours, maybe it will work out ok. :-D he might scavenge pieces of food and film algae and be ok.

I carry around with me when I go shopping a reference book for marine fish and corals. It gives me the truth no matter what the lfs is standing there telling me. lol

this stinks.

our cichlids are thriving, **** we even managed to get a couple german blue rams to lay eggs. but this saltwater thing has me on a roller coaster of inadequacies.

Youre just worrying too much I bet. We all go through this feeling of I;m not doing it right or doing enough. You do the best you can and go from there. We all learn from each other and from our own experiences.

My cichhild tank pretty much runs itself so the saltwater is a challenge for me, but I love a good challenge. ;-) Thats what life is all about, keeps it interesting.

thanks carey. one of these days ill get it right. till then ive got a miss matched tank of live stock. at least the starfish is smart enough or hungry enough to leave the sand and try to find food on the rocks.

Even in 10 years I'm sure I'll still be learning stuff. Another reason to love this hobby, you can never ever know it all. It's sad that soemtimes we make the wrong decisions but the majority of us do it unknowingly and not on purpose.

Dude, I had a guy buy my my biocube skimmer today. He has a bleu tang in a 29 cube and had a sweetlips as well. I could only shake my finger at him.....Thats the kind of mistakes that shouldnt be made. Nice guy, knew all my corals and everything but he should and does know better. Thats being selfish and doing what he wants, not whats best for the fish. I wish i coulda smacked him with a stick. But he did buy the skimmer so I had to kinda hold back. LOL

coffeetwitch said:
lol you and that stick. well a good tool can also be a weapon. glad you sold the skimmer.

I'm not busting on u or ur tank. I just now how it is to be a compulsive buyer. I lost a beautiful nem because of it and almost destroyed my tank. And ur right about the roller coaster. I got 5 threads going on... Lol all asking different questions. I think u will be ok, just watch ur tank. We are all learning... :)

<------ is staying away from Carey's stick at all cost. :)

Don't put a blue tang or yellow tang in a cube and you'll be safe. BUT if I were to see you laying on the road I might be compelled to poke you with a stick to make sure you weren't dead. :-D

Back
Top Bottom