freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See which you like better, as far as how heavy it is in comparison to the size. Its better to have lighter, porous rock IMO, but it's really whatever you prefer as far as looks. You can even do a little of both. I have Fiji and Tongan rocks, and even some Caribbean rock too

I did answer the bb question on page 3... first batch of rock I made, It took four months for it to cure...

ha
yes you did...
thank you for your patients. crs is a horrible thing to have.

we measured the sg last night... we are sitting at 1.024. ive been feeding the tank. maybe not as much as i should though. im going to test the ammo/trites/trates later today to see whats going on with that and maybe try to find some pure ammonia and dose it.

when i say i know nothing of sw i really mean nothing. out of curiosity i tasted the water and thought it would be saltier.

yep, cant wait to add fish but i know i have to wait for the tank to cycle.

To answer a question the freshwater and saltwater benificial bacteria are different. The k750s will be ok for a while but I have 1050s and wish I had more flow.

ive been looking at the 1400s. i may get them and keep the one 750 going until i get all my rock in place.

come on payday.

hello all,

so with all this talk of flow and is the koralia 750 enough and me thinking what if i just bought a $15 impeller for a 1400 and put it in my 750, i decided to take a short little ride.

i just got back from the place i bought my 750 from in the first place. opened 2 boxes. the first being the box containing the koralia 1400 and the second being the box with the koralia 750. i was waiting for someone to tell me i cant be doing what i was doing but no one even looked at me. i pulled the impellers out of both of the units. compared: motor size (the same size), impeller size (the only difference is the size of the prop)..... put the 750 impeller assy in the 1400 motor and the 1400 impeller assy in the 750 motor...... you ready for this? both fit in each other AND both had the same amount of drag from the magnets inside of each other. sooooo im going to spend the $15 and see if they are as interchangeable as i think they are. hopefully its not a total waste of money.

fyi and my disgust i paid $60-69 give or take for the pump. if i where to have just taken my time and waited i could have gotten the same pump for less than half of that if i would have purchased it online.

Last edited:
we are kind of talking about stocking the tank, trying to get a list of what we can put in there. i need to know about pods, like how do i get them and how do i make it so they flurish and can support having a goby.

we want clown fish too. how can we have more than just a pair?

what else can be added? how many fish can we have?

what kind of cardinal fish can we have?

all this with the end goal of having a 75 gallon mixed reef aquarium.

i kind of had the thought that if we could start cultivating pods now, while we wait for all of the fish to be put in, would be better. but the more i think about it, its not possible until i get a sump up and going and that my canister filters will make it difficult to keep them in the dt. also that having a sump with a refugium can give them a place to reproduce and live then the flow over to the return pump to be put in the dt? am i correct in that thought?

You are correct about the pods. I wouldnt worry about them being the first thing you concentrate on. With a healthy and established tank they will come lol.

I would highly recommend not getting more than 2 clowns per tank. I tried two pairs of oscellaris and they were fine for a few months then it all fell apart and they had to be separated to save the one pair. This happened pretty much overnight too and the one pair was beat to heck by the time I moved them which was the same day.

my concern about the pods arose from me wanting to buy base rock instead of more lr. i guess im just not getting where all this life is supposed to come from. like the coralline. thats supposed to be good for your tank too right?

Coraline is neutral for your tank. It's just for looks. Some people say that it's a nuisance since it is algae and WILL grow on your glass, and you need a razerblade to scrape it off. As long as you get SOME live rock, your base rock will become live, and look exactly like the live rock, it will just take a little longer.

I have just as many pods on my base rock now as I do on my live rock. takes just a couple months for it to look and act like the live rock. In fact, it seems I have more coralline on my base rock than on the live. lol

But it is a pain to remove coralline from the glass, the mag floats can't cut it for that. A razor is needed and thats just a joy to do....lol

Are mag floats any good? I have this encrusting algae on my glass and I have to remove it manually, would a mag float do that?

My mag float, if big enough for the tank can remove the green algae that builds up pretty well but id you don;t do it daily some harder green algae forms making a razor a necessity. I try to keep it clean but it;s hard on the sides where I can't reach.

I have a mag float in every single tank I own and it works wonders.

Coraline is neutral for your tank. It's just for looks. Some people say that it's a nuisance since it is algae and WILL grow on your glass, and you need a razerblade to scrape it off. As long as you get SOME live rock, your base rock will become live, and look exactly like the live rock, it will just take a little longer.

i do have some lr now and i guess the die off is cycling my tank as i type. im good with base rock taking its time to become live. just how much good stuff am i missing out on by using so little lr?

payday is still on friday so there is not much i can do about it right this moment, and i may end up buying more lr. during my little outing earlier today i found a lfs selling fiji for $5 a pound and pukani for $7.

Depends on the thickness of the glass. My 125g has thick glass so the large one is the one I use. Smaller tanks I think can get away with the medium. i woudlnt recommend the small or mini unless your looking at a 10g tank or so. The thicker the glass the magnet you need to get it off. I have a mini on my 20gL and it works ok, also have the mini on my 10g too. I use the small one on my cube. :)

Hey as far as replacing impeller, it's probably like most motors with a fan blade. Which means it may work but will more than Likely overheat do to design being wrong. But it's up to you, but if motor doesn't last as long maybe change to correct frame.

Hey as far as replacing impeller, it's probably like most motors with a fan blade. Which means it may work but will more than Likely overheat do to design being wrong. But it's up to you, but if motor doesn't last as long maybe change to correct frame.

thank you for the heads up. i think i may pick up another koralia 1400 to run in unison with the mismatched 750 and see if i can compare the two. im hoping that like most things these days its cheaper for the manufacture to make all of one thing change one part(the impeller assy), slap a different sticker on it and call it something different.

Back
Top Bottom