Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

ha thanks. weve got lunch with sweetie pies grand parents then im buying the caulk. ill take pics. here is the last one i took last night with all the seals cut out and just the last bit of shavings to clean out. dont know if you can even tell in the pic but thats what it is.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

When I resealed mine I got out all I could with the razor blade and then went over with a fine grain sandpaper, and then followed up with straight vinager.

20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i didnt use the sandpaper. but i lade down all the seals... i guess i wait until the silicone cures until i pull the masking tape? pictures on the way
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

as soon as i got home from the hardware store i started the final clean up and taping...

and

then i got ready and started caulking...

Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

those last two pictures i was just going to seal the frame to the tank but i guess the silicone started setting up. on the other end of the tank and i didnt like how the tape was pulling away. so i stopped, ill wait until its cured more.

i really hope its all good. i would hate to have to redo it. i used both tubes of caulk. i think i had enough to go around the rim but the tape thing stopped me. 24 hours and ill do that. 24 hours after that ill fill it and see if i screwed the pooch or actually did a good job. 2 tubes seems like a lot to me. i think some of my edges maybe too heavy. fingers are crossed.

also i made my choice on the ge silicone1 because the label said food safe. it was the only silicone that said it was.

should i water check before i seal the frame on? or would that be too risky with the weight of the water not to have the top frame in place?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

its a no go... im tearing it out and going to try again. every thing is just soooooo sloppy.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

"It is a Vuetech, yes it has adjustable legs, t5 setup, about 3.5 years old, and the bulbs were recently replaced. I would like to get at least $175."

found this on craigslist. its a 6 bulb setup. never heard of them. is it wearth it? anyone heard of them?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

round two with the resealing seemed to go better. still messy but i have alot better feeling about it as far as it actually being sealed. i will have to do some seriously careful clean up to get the slop out of it, but once fully cured i hope it will be just another step to take instead of disaster. i also siliconed the frame on since i wasnt using the tape and it wasnt in the way this time. after the silicone skinned over i masked it off and put a can of spray paint on. looks ok and it will look better once im done... hopefully.

on a side note should anyone choose to use tape i found out that you need to remove it as soon as you can rather than waiting for it to skin or fully cure.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

full of water.... im keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Me too. You'll be mad when there's water all over the garage

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com