freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tonight.... about 25lbs of lr. did some trading at the lfs.

img_1511981_0_8f954bf9375a20a41a2c9cf47fe56799.jpg

and one hitch hiker... is this good or bad?
img_1511981_1_5719117b273c79da29f5aee2ff823c05.jpg

still cycling. ammo .5 nitrite 1 nitrate 20 if this was freshwater i would say this was halfway.

yes i kept a log on 3 different tanks.

got the replacement impeller today for my power head. noticeably more current. im anxious to see how a true koralia 1400 works in comparison.

payday tomorrow. im torn what to buy next...
what would be the smartest buy?
i maybe able to get a used 6 bulb t5 light from craigslist for 175. or i could buy base rock. i want to buy another power head. depending on how two work in the tank i may get a third...
should i start buying some of the supplies for my sump? carey mentioned in another thread that petco may be having a $1/gallon sale so i may look into that.
or that sc150 skimmer that tdwright1971 suggested?
we have an empty 55 but the footprint of a 40g breeder may work better. im going to say im stealing the idea from unicorn but im sure others have said it before or ive seen it before, but i had the moment of clarity to understand why when i saw it in her thread. the layout is that the fuge will be on one end the skimmer will be on the other with the inlet from the overflow and the return pump will be in the middle with a "t" and a ball valve to control a slower flow for the fuge then return the bulk back to the dt. im thinking that the footprint of the 40breeder will give me more surface area for the dsb and skimmer vs the depth of the 55 gallon.

ive only got 150 - 200 to play with maybe more if sweety pie chips in. im hoping someone can clue me in on the smarter next step.

any direction would be helpful.

thanks!

A 6 bulb t5 for $175 is a good deal, I'd be hesitant to pass that up...BUT you need so many other things. lol When I did my 125g build I had the lights before the tank the deal was so good. And I knew I'd need them so I went with the lights. Good thing too as I monitor CL multiple times a day and have yet to see a light such as the one I got for the price I paid. :)

ive never seen the brand it is online. when i do a search for it google only shows heaters. person says it a vuetech. the person said that the bulbs were recently replaced so truth on that is who knows. also said that its 3.5 years old.

Oh, in that case I think I would hold out. Get some base rock and a huge box of salt. That would bring you in under budget too. or you can buy another powerhead.

marine depot is having a 20% off koralia powerhead sale til the 31st. I paln on picking up 2 550's for like $25 each .

yeah the light would be more tempting to me if i could type in its brand name and get pages of sites selling them. i was thinking if i dont get this one maybe a mh from odyssea. but i like how i can mix and match bulbs to get different lighting effects with a multiple bulb t5 fixture. ill check out marine depot. i did see 1400's for 40 on ebay.

maybe that ro/di unit that youve posted, a trash can, and a power head to mix the salt?

why oh why wasnt i born with money instead of these good looks? jk

Looking at the rock he got us, saw this little guy. Pictures aren't the greatest. It's a little purple guy chillin on the rock. Can you tell us what it is?

Attachments

• image-2495937281.jpg
    image-2495937281.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2599054794.jpg
    image-2599054794.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2630448785.jpg
    image-2630448785.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1474538374.jpg
    image-1474538374.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 86
Tracie6283 said:
Looking at the rock he got us, saw this little guy. Pictures aren't the greatest. It's a little purple guy chillin on the rock. Can you tell us what it is?

It's an aiptasia anemone

Does it look like a tiny anenome? it looks tome like aiptasia something you dont want in the tank. :-(

They spread and like to sting corals.....

But thats just my view, it could be something else....

It's bad. You should kill it now before it spreads. You can inject it in it;s mouth with aipstasia X which comes witha syringe or you can inject it with kalkwasser mixed with some water til its yougurt consistency. Ypu gotta inject right int he mouth though, covering it or putting it around it won't kill it.

Break it off and it will spread. they are nasty little buggers. Thats why you have to get it in the mouth to make sure it doesnt spread.

Break it off and it will spread. they are nasty little buggers. Thats why you have to get it in the mouth to make sure it doesnt spread.

i was thinking about taking the rock out of the tank and breaking off the corner of the rock, not just pulling it off. still not good enough? because quite frankly i dont know where the mouth is, but i do know how to break a rock.

coffeetwitch said:
i was thinking about taking the rock out of the tank and breaking off the corner of the rock, not just pulling it off. still not good enough? because quite frankly i dont know where the mouth is, but i do know how to break a rock.

I wouldn't waste the rock by doing that. I would rather kill everything on the rock by rinsing it in freshwater, than break the rock. You might even be able to kill it by just leave that corner of the rock, run under hot sink water for half an hour.

Back
Top Bottom