Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

yet another update:

still no leaks. touched up the paint... didnt need much just a spot where one of my shirt buttons got into the paint job from when i was moving it around to clean up some of the silicone.

and now for some pictures.

this is the paint i used. ive had good results with it. my color options for black where gloss and semi gloss... i went with gloss thinking it may reflect some light back out to the corrals and fish if i ever get to that point.

it may be hard to read but this is the reason i went with ge siliconeI, while it did not say it was for aquariums it did have an fda spec

new seals and the painted back.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Are you going to drill it for an overflow? Glass-holes.com kits are awsome and come with a holesaw.

20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would like to, but i know very little about the tank. we got it off craigslist in april and it was well used back then. im afraid of a tempered glass bottom. there are no left over tags even saying who made it.

we are having to build this up in stages because bills come first. it will be fish only first with a few chunks of lr with canister filters. but not enough lr to call it a fowlr.

i will be trying my hand at a dyi sum (yay more silicone) i was thinking of a 40 gallon breeder tank for that.

also, im torn on these two overflows since im spooked away from drilling the aquarium.

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank
or
CPR CS90 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

ha, to answer your question simply... no i am not going to drill it.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

I hear ya! I was a bit nervous first time I drilled an aquarium (my 75). After that I went drill crazy and the peice of mind of not having to worry if my syphon will start back after a power failure is worth the risk. But I am quite the do it yourselfer. I cut the glass for my dividers in my sump. Built a wooden box for the 250watt mh that stays cool to the touch without using fans. Built a cheap pvc style overflow that I am using on my 180. Made my own live rock, even built my auto top off using spare parts. I love cheap or diy as long as it doesn't sacrifice on quality. Also grow my own phyto. Some things however your better off spending a little money on, lights ,protien skimmer (actually I just bought a awsome cone skimmer for under $100 from an ebay seller if your interested its an sc150)
20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you can tell if glass is tempered by using the 3d glasses, the ones that aren't red and blue. If it looks normal then it's not tempered, and if it has lines, then it is tempered.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

3d glasses you say? looks like i may have to go see a movie to get a pair.

and on the skimmer... it is on the to get list. but its towards the bottom but before i get macro algae for the refugeium

on those notes i have to run out to the garage and see if im still leak free
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update!!!

walk out to the garage after nearly 48 hours of holding water... no leaks!

so we moved the tank in, and then i started rinsing 80 lbs of aragonite sand.

finally back in the house!

sweety pie, i think shes glad to have it back too.

after dumping in the sand we had about 2 inches of substrate. then we started adding the saltwater. its cloudy yes but i did rinse the holy **** out of it. and we put in the two pieces of live rock we bought and kept covered with saltwater and a paper towel. remarkably, the paper towel kept the top rock in the bucket wet by wicking the sw in the bucket.

sweety pie probably glad shes not making anymore saltwater.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

just for kicks i put the koralia 750 in the tank. i was really expecting more flow. bummer. maybe ill put it in my cichlid tank to keep everything moving to the filter and buy a couple larger koralias. still wanting 2 in the tank. what flow rate does everyone recommend?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the general rule of thumb is about 20-30x per hour your water should turn over... Meaning for a 75 gallon you would take 75x30 = 2250, x 20 = 1500gph - Therefore adding your return pump gph output plus the PH's you should come up with somewhere between 1500 and 2250gph of flow.

If you bought a 1050 to go with the 750, plus your return gph, you should be in really good shape.

For a comparison, I am putting (2) Koralia 750's to go along with a 450gph return pump, in my 54 gallon corner tank.

Another Tip for down the road once you get is scaped is to make sure there are no "Dead-spots" or places in the tank that is lacking flow, standing water.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
I think the general rule of thumb is about 20-30x per hour your water should turn over... Meaning for a 75 gallon you would take 75x30 = 2250, x 20 = 1500gph - Therefore adding your return pump gph output plus the PH's you should come up with somewhere between 1500 and 2250gph of flow.

If you bought a 1050 to go with the 750, plus your return gph, you should be in really good shape.

For a comparison, I am putting (2) Koralia 750's to go along with a 450gph return pump, in my 54 gallon corner tank.

Another Tip for down the road once you get is scaped is to make sure there are no "Dead-spots" or places in the tank that is lacking flow, standing water.

Hope this helps.

yes it did thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwright1971 View Post
The k750s will be ok for a while but I have 1050s and wish I had more flow.

what do you think of that?
what would happen if i just did 2 of the koralia 1050's?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com