Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if you ask Carey, she'll tell you that you can't have too much flow! Dary says that as long as your mushrooms aren't flapping like birds you're good too.

IMO if you aren't creating sand storms and your fish and corals aren't all blown against the side of the tank... it's all good.

Just make sure to turn off the typhoon for about 30 minutes a day when feeding... Oh and Carey also told me that she kicks off one of her powerheads during the night to give the fish and corals "a break" so to speak.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Again it all depends on what you want to keep, sps will grow and block off a lot of flow. As will lots of live rock. I thought my 1050s were just about right for a about the first year. Now I've added a mj 2100 mod which puts my total flow somewhere around 4800 gph. But I've knocked a few mushrooms off the rocks...

20 brackish
tdwright1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In my 125g I kick one off cause theres about 4000gph going in my tank. I havent noticed any side effects like blowing fish or corals around but it still makes me feel better that they can have a quiet corner at night.

In addition, Ihave 200lbs of rock in that tank so yeah, some of the flow is diffused.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an 800gph pump and a 550gph pump in a 40g breeder. In my 75 I have a 1300gph pump and 800gph.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have polarized sunglasses you can use that instead of 3D glasses. Just hold them away from your head and angle them at 45 degrees. But I can guarantee you that the bottom glass is tempered. Glass-holes.com has a great overflow, and they'll send you everything you need.

I also didn't see any answers to the beneficial bacteria question. I think that freshwater and saltwater have different types of bb.

One other suggestion is (since you seem to enjoy DIY projects) DIY live rock. I made some but keep forgetting to test the water for pH. I have a feeling they are too brittle to add. I've only made a few batches.

It's fun to make, and dirt cheap too.

All you need is some portland cement (i used portland 1, i think 2 or 3 will "cure (ph, not bacterial) faster), crushed coral or crushed oyster shells, play sand for molding, and some time. Next batch I make I will include some dry aragonite sand to keep it from being brittle. Some people also mix in rock salt - It will melt away when you soak it in water, giving you some nice, porous, rock. If you have any questions on DIY live rock, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm80
If you have polarized sunglasses you can use that instead of 3D glasses. Just hold them away from your head and angle them at 45 degrees. But I can guarantee you that the bottom glass is tempered. Glass-holes.com has a great overflow, and they'll send you everything you need.

I also didn't see any answers to the beneficial bacteria question. I think that freshwater and saltwater have different types of bb.

One other suggestion is (since you seem to enjoy DIY projects) DIY live rock. I made some but keep forgetting to test the water for pH. I have a feeling they are too brittle to add. I've only made a few batches.

It's fun to make, and dirt cheap too.

All you need is some portland cement (i used portland 1, i think 2 or 3 will "cure (ph, not bacterial) faster), crushed coral or crushed oyster shells, play sand for molding, and some time. Next batch I make I will include some dry aragonite sand to keep it from being brittle. Some people also mix in rock salt - It will melt away when you soak it in water, giving you some nice, porous, rock. If you have any questions on DIY live rock, feel free to PM me.
Yes polarized glasses! That's what I meant lol
Old 08-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

i was trying to look up part numbers. if i recall correctly the mj mod is replacing the prop for the pump. why cant i do the same thing on my koralia? the 750-1400 share the same dimensions. the only parts that ive seen that are different are the impellers. the pumps are rated at different wattage's but is that just because of the extra work that the different sized impellers are making the motors do? its really easy to change out the impeller assy. and they are cheap enough... if i find no answers to this question i may just buy the thing and see for myself.

i have a pair of rayban? sunglasses that are polarized i think. would those work?

dyi rock???? eh maybe down the road but right now im so new to the game i would like to see how everything plays out for a while before i start something like that.

i still havent checked out glass holes yet. i will after i hit "post quick reply"

i have a picture of my tank once everything has setteld down and all the suspended salt has been desolved. i think most of the haze of the previous pics was because of the salt.

we used oceanic natural sea salt mix.

im thinking the next few big purchases are going to be more rock live or base. i dont know if i want fiji or pukani. ive got 1 nice piece of fiji now dont know what the other one is.

another koralia evolution (online purchase there, lfs charge almost 2x what online stores sell them for)

then the next paycheck after that will be stuff for my sump.

here is a pic. the two fluval 405's have been running in the tank since 8pm last night and the picture was taken 10 minutes ago.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a site that can show you how to tell if your glasses are polarized.

http://www.polarization.com/water/water.html
Old 08-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

glass holes seems to be the way to go for my next tank should it not already have overflows already built in. yep just looked at my glasses... says so right there on the lens.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

pukani or figi... whats better to have? i can get both live here in town and i can order both as base rock online.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com