freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sooo not an expert but I think 2 systems will be harder to maintain and then theres always the option of what if one side fails. if a pump fails thats pushing 200gph then where is that 200gph gonna be? In the tank or the sump? Is there room for the big pump to fail as well while the smaller pump keeps pumping water?

Just random thoughts. I think 2 will be harder than one, isn't it always like that with things? LOL

Sorry for the condition. Two over flow boxes. Going down to my sump. One pump returning to my dt.

One big overflow one small overflow

Maybe if my big overflow was rated to the pump if little overflow looses syphin. Big overflow will have a lift pump on it

coffeetwitch said:
Sorry for the condition. Two over flow boxes. Going down to my sump. One pump returning to my dt.

One big overflow one small overflow

Maybe if my big overflow was rated to the pump if little overflow looses syphin. Big overflow will have a lift pump on it

Sorry for the confusion not condition. iPhone spell checker sucks some times

coffeetwitch said:
Sorry for the confusion not condition. iPhone spell checker sucks some times

I know right?! And it has a memory, so when u miss-spell something too many times it thinks it's correct. Dunno where I can change some words on the spell check memory... Any ideas?

As for overflow: 2 return pumps is a hassle! I tried it and it didnt work too well. 2 overflows are great, but I would make a T-connection to the mag9.5 and have it return the water back through both too.
Having a second pump required ALOT of dune tuning that is almost impossible to correct and if one fails it may spill trouble

rdnelson99 said:
Speaking of terrible I-Phone auto-corrects........ LOL

I know right?! Love it when it mixes up "I" and "u" and then the sentence becomes totally weird and awkward ;D

Asjusting flow with a ball valve is so simple though. I have mine about a foot maybe a tad more away from my sumps water line. I just adjust from there, you can view the tank water level, sump level and adjusting is just a twist away.

To be honest, if it's late and I didn't do enough of a top off earlier my pump will start pulling air so I on occassion just twist the ball valve and then take care of it in the morning. Not the best idea but I have my water on my porch and theres a cat door and we've been finding this raccoon inside the porch!! So I get a little paranoid. LOL

But anyways, I vote single overflow and pump with a ball valve in place.

Just curious, if I missed it I'm sorry, but what do you hope to accomplish with dual overflows over a single double?

coffeetwitch said:
Lol. I seriously don't know Carey. It was a thought of what if so I asked thinking it was a good idea.

Take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I lack the experience of a lot of other members.

That said, it seems to me that having two separate overflows, while certainly being possible, might pose a bit of a problem in the future. It entails more plumbing, and with that comes more possible spots for plumbing failure. I think if it's at all possible to achieve the same end with less plumbing/overflow, you might be better off doing so.

Id imagine the only main benefit from running dual overflows is 1. Vastly higher flowrate on larger tanks(125+)
And 2. Multiple nozzle jet locations to create mini currents.
Obviously you don't need a TON of flow on your setup so id say the second reason would apply. But in all honestly your ph's could make up for any little extra flow you'd get from running a dual setup

Back
Top Bottom