freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering what you have vs what you need,

im good at making scraps work:

brand new in 81
img_1515744_0_9884633e50484e6fbbd8b30b30e5f9f3.jpg

30 years latter
img_1515744_1_61634c91ff31556aa6515e02ccf1cd3b.jpg

Yeah 55s arent the best for surface area, and I didnt even think of the needed room in case of a power outage

so ill cut my 55 down to 14 tall. that will give me about 11 inches of empty space to clear everything. also assuming that a common skimmer i will get will have a average footprint of 11x8 and the pump will be 6" wide after baffles i will still have a ~30" long space for the fuge. run my water level at 10 inches so when power goes out. ill have 10 gallons worth of space before my floor gets wet.

coffeetwitch said:
so ill cut my 55 down to 14 tall. that will give me about 11 inches of empty space to clear everything. also assuming that a common skimmer i will get will have a average footprint of 11x8 and the pump will be 6" wide after baffles i will still have a ~30" long space for the fuge. run my water level at 10 inches so when power goes out. ill have 10 gallons worth of space before my floor gets wet.

14? My sump is 20g high... Maybe if u wait I can do some measuring and testing tomorrow and let u know how high I have my water and how high it climbs when I turn everything off... But I have different measurements anyways... That's a tough one...
How high is it now and how high are u planning on putting the water?

14? My sump is 20g high... Maybe if u wait I can do some measuring and testing tomorrow and let u know how high I have my water and how high it climbs when I turn everything off... But I have different measurements anyways... That's a tough one...
How high is it now and how high are u planning on putting the water?

i can wait for measurements. your sump looked huge in the pictures. huma-huma got it. i was planing on making the sump 14" tall and run the water level around 10" high. <---- average max water depth for an in sump skimmer.

again if my math is right, should my planed set up loose power, the dt water level can fall ~3 inches before it will overflow the sump.

And I dont see it even falling that far, you can control that with the positioning of the inlet/outlet pipes in the dt. For instance, my 125 has 2 returns with 2 nozzles each, I leave one nozzle on each side halfway above water, if in the event of failure , it acts as a natural syphon break.. Just one way to easily control back syphon, overflows dont usually hold enough to flood sumps,granted they are set right

Exactly, the rule of any liquid syphon is that if theres a air break in it, itll stop. So yes by carefully positioning BOTH the overflow and returns properly, youll avoid a huge drop flow to your sump

Exactly, the rule of any liquid syphon is that if theres a air break in it, itll stop. So yes by carefully positioning BOTH the overflow and returns properly, youll avoid a huge drop flow to your sump

ha i missed the return hose for the back siphon. good reminder sir.

Hard lesson learned, that one got me the first time around. Luckily it came extremely close to flooding. Just a hurt ego really

What u basically have to do is play around alot to get it all perfect. One of the reasons I could sleep the first night ;)

If you do a good job with ur siphon break and have the plumbing just right, having 4" of back-flow room should be good. Maybe I'm just the paranoid kind that likes a bit more just in case.

is there such a thing a too much overflow? like between these two overflow boxes, one is rated at 600 gph and the other is rated at 800 gph. both have a lift pump to maintain a good siphon. if i have a return pump that is rated at 800 gph at 4' and i t into the return line to feed my refugium, there by reducing the flow back to the tank would i be worse off having the 800gph overflow?

Nope you should be ok. The overflows will only "overflow" the same amount of water that your return pump pushes back into the tank. Npw when your return pump pushes more than your overflow can handle, thats a problem

Nope you should be ok. The overflows will only "overflow" the same amount of water that your return pump pushes back into the tank. Npw when your return pump pushes more than your overflow can handle, thats a problem

thank you sir. you helped make a dissension for a future purchase. wish i knew more about living things to help you out on your stocking.

Anytime:) and I see youve noticed my current dilema lol

yep, im subscribed to your 125 build. shame for me but good that both you and carey are at the point of stocking. im stuck thinking about mechanics behind it all and you guy are learning live stock.... oh well at least the info will be there when i get that far. although ill probably enlist carey's build because hers is less predator. your fish are amazing btw.

Back
Top Bottom