freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im thinking diy overflow now. im doing my searches now. i dont mind buying a lift pump. in fact i saw one at the store i want to purchase my flame hawk from for my 40g.

i want to be able to flow 800gph. what im asking for are pvc diameter and measurements for all the pieces.

i really know nothing of how these things work, i have seen pictures of so many designs that im so lost. if anyone has a link to a rock solid simple overflow could you please help me out? if anyone has a rock solid simple design that your using could you burn some of your time and direct me?

thank you all, and in the mean time i will continue to search and read.

if i recall correctly most pipe diameter for overflow boxes is only 1" so if i make it all out of 1" pvc i should be ok. a web site i found said 1" under gravity will flow 900+ gph. so that would work for me. i also found this thread on aa http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/help-please-show-your-diy-pvc-overflow-161403.html

i was thinking something like that. im assuming that i need to calculate how many gallons i can have in my sump before overflow there to determine the water level in my dt and then determine how low i want to put my overflow in my dt. i think im slowly getting the concept of it.

on the outside of the dt where it u's to the t where it drains down to the sump is now my question. how tall does that need to be?

think i should make this out of 1 1/4 for the actual overflow then choke it down to 1" the rest of the way down to the sump?

Wow, you got alot of questions and I have zero answers. lol

I wish I was that inspired to do a diy type thing, for that I give you major props. Still following along as the info might come in handy for me.

I know in one of my threads u asked about my pump.... I got some info for u. Well, a pic anyways...

Last edited:
I wish I could offer some good advice on the plumbing, but I'll leave that to the people who really know it. It looks really good on paper though, I don't really see any gaping flaws in either of those designs you posted.

Oh, and just a little anecdote, make sure that you install that check valve properly. My built in overflow included a standpipe with a check valve, and it produced an insane amount of noise at first. I was able fidget with it so it'd make less, but it was still audible. I think some water was getting in through the little hole somehow. Just something to look out for.

lol yeah i kinda went crazy last night.

i would call it less inspiration more im broke and i want the fish to be as healthy as possible and not suffer for my ignorance. the idea was mentioned earlier when i started that 55gallon sw idea, you know a month-2 months ago. back then it seemed like such an ominous task but after reading everyone with thier drilled tanks and kinda messing around with my fw i kinda feel comfortable with it and i think that i can still make it look nice and clean. making neat and clean was also a concern in the beginning.

i think what design i use depends on if i want to pull water from the surface or from the middle or bottom of the tank.

thank you kio, i think i did ask about your pump, im looking for good pumps to use.

if i do indeed build an overflow, it will be a learning experience on tweaking it all to make it work.

coffeetwitch said:
i think what design i use depends on if i want to pull water from the surface or from the middle or bottom of the tank.

IMO I would pull the water from the surface to reduce that film that inevitable will appear. Also u will need it for surface agitation to keep that pH somewhat stable ... CO2 exchange bla bla... bla

yes maam i will.

im kinda looking at them and seeing if i can put the best of both in one.

1"pipe or 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pipe?

any thoughts?

coffeetwitch said:
yes maam i will.

im kinda looking at them and seeing if i can put the best of both in one.

1"pipe or 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pipe?

any thoughts?

U saw mine... 1 1/4 and I get great flow..

The pipes from DT to sump are 1 1/4, the pipes from sump to DT are 1"
u don't want the return pipes too big or else u lose pressure. Imagine a syringe or hose: the bigger the harder you have to push to get good pressure

(and if somebody dares to make a "that's what she said"-joke out of it, I'll personally come over there and punch u!!!)

Unicorn said:
The pipes from DT to sump are 1 1/4, the pipes from sump to DT are 1"
u don't want the return pipes too big or else u lose pressure. Imagine a syringe or hose: the bigger the harder you have to push to get good pressure

(and if somebody dares to make a "that's what she said"-joke out of it, I'll personally come over there and punch u!!!)

Thats what she said... Lmfao... Couldn't resist!!!!

Back
Top Bottom