freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a ball valves on each of my overflow pipes and just turning the thingy regulates a lot. Just must make sure that u don't flood the aquarium ;) lots of fine-tuning

you mean adj it so that one only starts draining if the water level gets higher than the "main" one is set to maintain?

and just keep it primed and ready to go?

coffeetwitch said:
and you havent had any problems by doing so? power out tests and everything?

Nope :) but it takes a while to get it just right. You have to turn ten a bit and then wait and make sure it does not overflow etc. Im talking about 2 overflows though. If you do that with only one overflow the only reason U would have one is for noise control

I got a ball valves on each of my overflow pipes and just turning the thingy regulates a lot. Just must make sure that u don't flood the aquarium ;) lots of fine-tuning

Are you not afraid of a baby snail or tube worms or critters causing a problem? I could only recommend this in a durso setup with a fail-safe just in case. Overflows can fail. maybe design flaw was why mine did when i had the 90 intake, once a skimmer pump came off and had micro bubbles everywhere,eventually the overflow filled with enough air to stop the flow. the other time was a bag was left floating long enough to stick to the front of the overflow...

tdwright1971 said:
Are you not afraid of a baby snail or tube worms or critters causing a problem? I could only recommend this in a durso setup with a fail-safe just in case. Overflows can fail. maybe design flaw was why mine did when i had the 90 intake, once a skimmer pump came off and had micro bubbles everywhere,eventually the overflow filled with enough air to stop the flow. the other time was a bag was left floating long enough to stick to the front of the overflow...

Well, failure is always an option with anything that's left to work automatically. I have a DIY durso on both sides and I have a grit in there so nothing can come in. Of Course something can always happen, usually increased noise will warn you.

Problem is if I dot use my ball valve, the noise level is unbearable. Now it's as good as silent

a question for you unicorn. didnt you mention that you throttle your return pump down? so your closing off your return pump line and your closing off your drain lines?

Unicorn said:
Well, failure is always an option with anything that's left to work automatically. I have a DIY durso on both sides and I have a grit in there so nothing can come in. Of Course something can always happen, usually increased noise will warn you.

Problem is if I dot use my ball valve, the noise level is unbearable. Now it's as good as silent

That's why I said I could only recomend this for a durso setup they are designed to run this way. And are extremly quiet due to the balanced syphon they maintain, when the balance shifts they make noise alerting you to adjust.

oh forgot to mention that i found a cool little tool in the pvc isle at hd. fo those of us using a portable rodi unit this little tool will thread onto the hose end of the supply and you can measure your water pressure. i think mine is supposed to be like 68psi max, and min is 32psi. why i remember those numbers i have no idea, but what i had for breakfast escapes me.

tdwright1971 said:
That's why I said I could only recomend this for a durso setup they are designed to run this way. And are extremly quii et due to the balanced syphon they maintain, when the balance shifts they make noise alerting you to adjust.

I apologise if this sounded at all rude, it was not meant to be.

coffeetwitch said:
oh forgot to mention that i found a cool little tool in the pvc isle at hd. fo those of us using a portable rodi unit this little tool will thread onto the hose end of the supply and you can measure your water pressure. i think mine is supposed to be like 68psi max, and min is 32psi. why i remember those numbers i have no idea, but what i had for breakfast escapes me.

I need one of these I think my pressure may be low..

i would also like to mention that one of the reasons i chose 1" beside 1.25" looking so huge was i read that 1" pipe was used on reef ready overflow tanks. well, the smaller ones like a 75g.

here is a thought... maybe i dont need to flow 800gph at 4 feet. maybe i need to look into a smaller return pump. i just had it stuck in my head that i needed to buy the danner 9.5

coffeetwitch said:
i would also like to mention that one of the reasons i chose 1" beside 1.25" looking so huge was i read that 1" pipe was used on reef ready overflow tanks. well, the smaller ones like a 75g.

1" is used for the pump pushing the water back to the DT where the bulkhead for the intake will only take 1 1/4".
Of course all I have is a pre-drilled (reef ready) tank with overflow boxes... So I got the easy way out, decision was made for me.

tdwright1971 said:
I apologise if this sounded at all rude, it was not meant to be.

No problem ;) didnt take it personally. And usually it's hard to communicate like that if all you have is letters and no voice or facial expressions to go by... U guys are missing out on me using my hands as a way of expression, I'm deadly with my hands when I'm talking LOL

Somewhere I once read that you only need 5 times your aquarium volume per hour through your sump, the rest of the flow can be made up with powerheads or closed loop. So 5 times 75 is 375 gph right? That's so that your protien skimmer or media reactors have time to process the water.... of course this may or may not be true. But it was something that stuck in my head once.

1" is used for the pump pushing the water back to the DT where the bulkhead for the intake will only take 1 1/4".
Of course all I have is a pre-drilled (reef ready) tank with overflow boxes... So I got the easy way out, decision was made for me.

No problem ;) didnt take it personally. And usually it's hard to communicate like that if all you have is letters and no voice or facial expressions to go by... U guys are missing out on me using my hands as a way of expression, I'm deadly with my hands when I'm talking LOL

yeah and carey's is a 1"overflow pipe and a 3/4 return line on her 90g reef ready that she may have a stand for by now.

second part is that im liking seeing faces for avatars. makes it a little easier to "read" how a person talks. hand gestures that kill me are when they dont see you walking up to an existing conversation and almost take my head off...

Back
Top Bottom