Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have just as many pods on my base rock now as I do on my live rock. takes just a couple months for it to look and act like the live rock. In fact, it seems I have more coralline on my base rock than on the live. lol

But it is a pain to remove coralline from the glass, the mag floats can't cut it for that. A razor is needed and thats just a joy to do....lol

Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are mag floats any good? I have this encrusting algae on my glass and I have to remove it manually, would a mag float do that?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My mag float, if big enough for the tank can remove the green algae that builds up pretty well but id you don;t do it daily some harder green algae forms making a razor a necessity. I try to keep it clean but it;s hard on the sides where I can't reach.

I have a mag float in every single tank I own and it works wonders.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does it matter what size you get? They have like 5 sizes. Do they work better if they're bigger?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Coraline is neutral for your tank. It's just for looks. Some people say that it's a nuisance since it is algae and WILL grow on your glass, and you need a razerblade to scrape it off. As long as you get SOME live rock, your base rock will become live, and look exactly like the live rock, it will just take a little longer.
i do have some lr now and i guess the die off is cycling my tank as i type. im good with base rock taking its time to become live. just how much good stuff am i missing out on by using so little lr?

payday is still on friday so there is not much i can do about it right this moment, and i may end up buying more lr. during my little outing earlier today i found a lfs selling fiji for $5 a pound and pukani for $7.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depends on the thickness of the glass. My 125g has thick glass so the large one is the one I use. Smaller tanks I think can get away with the medium. i woudlnt recommend the small or mini unless your looking at a 10g tank or so. The thicker the glass the magnet you need to get it off. I have a mini on my 20gL and it works ok, also have the mini on my 10g too. I use the small one on my cube.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

mag float? whats that?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

disregard i googled it.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey as far as replacing impeller, it's probably like most motors with a fan blade. Which means it may work but will more than Likely overheat do to design being wrong. But it's up to you, but if motor doesn't last as long maybe change to correct frame.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabecourter1979 View Post
Hey as far as replacing impeller, it's probably like most motors with a fan blade. Which means it may work but will more than Likely overheat do to design being wrong. But it's up to you, but if motor doesn't last as long maybe change to correct frame.

thank you for the heads up. i think i may pick up another koralia 1400 to run in unison with the mismatched 750 and see if i can compare the two. im hoping that like most things these days its cheaper for the manufacture to make all of one thing change one part(the impeller assy), slap a different sticker on it and call it something different.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com