Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #931
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've only seen my lawnmower blenny twice in the few days I've had it.....

Old 09-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #932
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok so im going to go look at the lfs. see what they got in today. maybe come home with a fox face one spot per the boss. if you gues see any problems with that ill check aa before i actually have it bagged. but i think it would be a good addition and put us back on track.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #933
Aquarium Advice Addict

carey are you back yet?

so i got back from the sw lfs and bought the bulbs that mr_x recomended... they look amazing!!!! ati purple plus and ati aquablue speacial.

gives it just the most subtle tint of purple that i think sweety pie was after. let me get my data cord and ill post some pictures. they dont do it justice fyi.

i talked to the guy again about all the warnings of the yellow tang in my 75. crs has taken over.

anyway his argument seemed solid enough, as well as all of yours. leaves me in limbo and waiting on his saltwater shipment to come in. said he would call/txt when his worker got back from the airport pickup. said that if it was not a doa i could buy the one spot and take it home right out of the box. that way it didnt acclimate to his tank and then to mine and risk what ever was in his tank getting to mine. personally i thought that was a good offer..
Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #934
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
carey are you back yet?

so i got back from the sw lfs and bought the bulbs that mr_x recomended... they look amazing!!!! ati purple plus and ati aquablue speacial.

gives it just the most subtle tint of purple that i think sweety pie was after. let me get my data cord and ill post some pictures. they dont do it justice fyi.

i talked to the guy again about all the warnings of the yellow tang in my 75. crs has taken over.

anyway his argument seemed solid enough, as well as all of yours. leaves me in limbo and waiting on his saltwater shipment to come in. said he would call/txt when his worker got back from the airport pickup. said that if it was not a doa i could buy the one spot and take it home right out of the box. that way it didnt acclimate to his tank and then to mine and risk what ever was in his tank getting to mine. personally i thought that was a good offer..
Most LFS I have talked to say they will not let a fish out the door until they have had it 4 or 5 days. That way they know it is healthy. I guess if they told me the would warranty it for 4 or 5 days I would consider it but if not I would wait.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #935
Aquarium Advice Addict

orange is more orange the coral beauty's fins almost glint

Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #936
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have to agree with the above. have him hold it for a few days to make sure it survives. I bought a watchman goby that just came in at the lfs, was never acclimated to their tank and guess what? It didnt last more than a day. The sheer travel time of the fish in that bag can be enough to kill it. Me, I;d rather it be on my lfs's dime than mine. Just my opinion though.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #937
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is carried over from another thread. better "argue" it here than his.

at some point we have all over stocked. and had success. we have paired up the "wrong" two fish and they thrive. we have seen cramped conditions in our lfs and yellow tangs in cubes that are no where near 72" long. yet week after week the fish are still there. who sets these guidelines for tank compatibility? 0 nitrates with a canister filter and a hob skimmer with a 55g sw. ive got a firemouth in an african cichlid tank. these things do happen against all that we read.

lol with that said! im still going to get the one spot on the grounds that i dont want to be flamed, and it would make a good excuse to get a 180 sw.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #938
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. Like people who jkust buy a mandarin and they eat prepared foods right off the bat. It does happen. But the rules and suggestions are there because they have been deemed appropriate for keeping a healthy fish at his best. Whats so darn furstraing is that with tangs it sometimes really is a matter of life or death as they are probably some of the most touchy fish ever. They stress extremely easily and fall ill extremely easy. It's just a bad combination.

Do any of know how many yellow tangs a store had to put in their smaller display tanks to actually keep one alive? Thye may have tried 3-4 fish for all we know and eventually got lucky. But I wouldnt wanna base a decision on luck, not me personally anyway. Lots of people play the odds and some get paid and some lose. It's like the lottery but with nothing dying if you don't win.

These are just some of the things I've read, researched and been told. It's pretty consistent across the board as far as tank size. My tangs race back and forth all day long literally. even my tomini in the 55g doesnt seem too happy about his lack of swimming room. He also just swims back and forth all day long and I feel bad having him in there cause I feel it's causing him stress and stress and tangs don't mix.

Sorry for writing a novel here, I didn't mean to, just wanting you to have all the information I had when i was deciding whether to gamble or not.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #939
Aquarium Advice Addict

not a novel. it was a good read though. and thank you for calmly and patiently writing that for me to read. if a person cant ask why, then why ask questions right?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #940
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm glad youre not po'd. I was upset when I first started asking the tang questions and people just kept telling me no. It's so frustrating to want something that people tell you that you cant have. But you'll get there and there are other options. The bristlenose tangs are ok in a 75 and they are kidna cool, I have the tomini in my qt right now. Also the kole tang is awesome and he too can be ok in a 75. I;m sure they would both PREFER the 6 feet of swim room but it's been shown that they can do just fine in a 75g.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, freshwater, reef, salt, saltwater, saltwater reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com