Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good luck with it. Definitely make ire not to disturb the sand as it will be cloudy for weeks on end. I had my tank full and just dumped the sand into it and it was cloudy for way to long. I would do LR/LS/RO. You want live rock on the bottom glass of you tank or creatures will dig an eventually the rock will fall on them and maybe cause more rock to fall killing other things. Ask me how I know!!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #32

Definitely let us know how everything goes and post pictures.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live rock, live sand, water. If you want to have things that dig in the sand, make sure that the rock is in the bottom. If not, they can get trapped under shifting sinking falling rock.
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish View Post
Live rock, live sand, water. If you want to have things that dig in the sand, make sure that the rock is in the bottom. If not, they can get trapped under shifting sinking falling rock.
Didn't read my post did you?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesselrode View Post

Didn't read my post did you?
Agreeing with you.
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesselrode View Post
Good luck with it. Definitely make ire not to disturb the sand as it will be cloudy for weeks on end. I had my tank full and just dumped the sand into it and it was cloudy for way to long. I would do LR/LS/RO. You want live rock on the bottom glass of you tank or creatures will dig an eventually the rock will fall on them and maybe cause more rock to fall killing other things. Ask me how I know!!
Ahem.....oops, didn't see neither of your post in time. But the tank is set up my salt is within the proper parameters, and everything seems to be running fine. And my water actually cleared up real quick. I set it up at 2pm yesterday and this morning its already cleared. In relation to the LR being on the bottom it isn't unfortunately , however I do have about 4-5inches of LS underneath them so it could take alot for something to displace it enough. I'm going to throw in my cocktail shrimp today. I have a bag with ones already veined, and de-tailed i use for pasta. They're kind of small, but would one or two of those work? They are just frozen?

Oh and I forgot I got a hitchhiker crab of some sort with the LR.....wanted a starfish ha ha
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #37

I have as of yet to see the crab again but I'm kind of nervous because i think it could prove harmful to the tank. If I wanted to remove it how could I go about it without moving all the LR?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ou can just put a couple of the frozen raw shrimp in there. If there really small, might wanna do 3. What did the crab look like? Green? Red? Black? Brown? Hairy? Size?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #39

It's Black with what looks to be small white stripes on its legs. I'd keep it if I didn't plan on getting a cleaner shrimp/peppermint shrimp. I have awhile to get it out but would prefer it not be in there.

Plus it is already the size of a 50 cent piece!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if your tank is drilled and you need a sump.. go to wallyworld or anywhere you can get a 35 gallon plastic tote. and 3 shoe box drawers.. drill a hole in the top to fit your overflow pipe. or hose.. and the top 2 shoebox drawers drill tiny holes in it to allow enough water to go thru it. put filter pad in the top.. carbon and or live rock rubble and leave the bottom drawer off. set inside tote put heater and all your stuff in the tote.. including pump and return hose. and bam.. cheap and easy sump.. cost me less than 20$ compared to 150-350$..

keep up on water changes each week and make sure to allow for a full cycle!
it can cost around 60$ but buy your salt in bulk.. 6 gallon buckets are cheaper in the long run for your salt.. and when its empty. you have a bucket for water changes.. the buckets are good for 200 gallons. so it will last a long time if you have a smaller tank

Tags
budget, freshwater, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com