Freshwater to Marine on a Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if your tank is drilled and you need a sump.. go to wallyworld or anywhere you can get a 35 gallon plastic tote. and 3 shoe box drawers.. drill a hole in the top to fit your overflow pipe. or hose.. and the top 2 shoebox drawers drill tiny holes in it to allow enough water to go thru it. put filter pad in the top.. carbon and or live rock rubble and leave the bottom drawer off. set inside tote put heater and all your stuff in the tote.. including pump and return hose. and bam.. cheap and easy sump.. cost me less than 20$ compared to 150-350$..

keep up on water changes each week and make sure to allow for a full cycle!
it can cost around 60$ but buy your salt in bulk.. 6 gallon buckets are cheaper in the long run for your salt.. and when its empty. you have a bucket for water changes.. the buckets are good for 200 gallons. so it will last a long time if you have a smaller tank

Thanks for the advice but its too late already went with the canister filter.

Okay guys I was able to remove that hitchhiker from the tank last night. Wasn't set on doing it, that is until the little bugger tried escaping. So now my tank is free to cycle.

Just wanted some input about different light setup's. I'm kind of eyeing a l.e.d system but its kind of pricey. I will say this, I can't have a light hanging down on a string, I live in an apartment and don't wanna mess up the ceilings to much.

LEDs are great, I have a couple of kessil A350s and they are awesome. Maybe look into T5 fixture though. I know you said you were doing fowlr. It will give you that crisp color and bring out the colors in your fish.

LEDs are great, I have a couple of kessil A350s and they are awesome. Maybe look into T5 fixture though. I know you said you were doing fowlr. It will give you that crisp color and bring out the colors in your fish.

I second that heard that kessils are good DO NOT BUY AQUARAY IT WILL COAT A FORTUNE

Also, think long term too. At some point you will maybe want corals. So maybe get a light that will support coral growth. So you won't need to spend money on another light.

I agree, I was at the lfs yesterday and they've got the marine land reef master LEDs. Kinda curious if you all have heard anything about them?

What would be a good/appropriate CUC for this set up? My final fish stock list will likely be:

2 clowns
1yellow head jawfish
2 clown gobies
And maybe a filefish goby or something similar

I would just get a few of each of what you like. No need to buy a packaged "clean up crew" since they always recommend way too many creatures and many of them starve to death. A few snails, a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp if you like them, a few crabs maybe...that's about what I would start with.

^+1. If you buy a huge cuc in a package, many will starve, and the snails you have to continuously turn back over. That is a pain with too many of them. I have a 55 gallon. I have 15-20 crabs and 15-20 various snails. From turbo to margaritas. I did have 15 turbos before the hurricane and 7 days without electricity, and the were amazing, never starved and glass was always spotless. Turbos also eat hair algae. But they mow over live rock if it isn't heavy enough or secured/glued. I prefer turbos over any other snail. I plan to get 2 cleaner shrimp also.

I have a marineland reef led on a 10 gal nano.. I think it depends on the depth of the tank too... A 10 gal is only about 12" at most(bare)...now on a 20 tall.. No it wouldnt be brite enuf because of the depth... You would need stronger.. Im an idiot..what size tank again? ?:)

Okay I don't think I'm going to get an overly large CUC, probably just four or five snails with a Cleaner shrimp. And I think I'm going with the marineland fixture. The reef capable with timer. It's a 36 gallon bowfront which is rather deep. That said I'm not getting into corals until I get a skimmer so if th light isn't sufficient enough ill add some t5s or another l.e.d money permitting

Okay guys now almost a month after set up, I have gone through the cycle fine. About two weeks ago I introduced livestock. I now have two Clowns, a yellow clown goby, and a yellow headed jawfish. Don't plan on introducing any more for awhile. Parameters are great zero across the board. I think I'm going to only add one or two more fish, but would like something that will swim more in the middle of the water column like my clowns. Interested on any information about the firefish, also at the store I saw a very small Bi-color angelfish for a very reasonable price. I know the angelfish is eventually going to outgrow the tank but it looks absolutely amazing and it's small enough that he would be comfortable for quite some time I think. Please feel free guys to sell me on why or why not the angel is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom