Freshy thinking of taking the plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is RO/DI absolutely necessary or will treated tap water work?

I wouldn't use tap. Unless you like improper amounts of calcium phosphate and a bunch of others. It is actually a major cause of algae blooms such as the green hair algae. Distilled is pure just like RODi water it's just filtered differently.

skywhitney said:
Is RO/DI absolutely necessary or will treated tap water work?

I would say it's absolutely necessary, you'll get a continuous amount of silicates going into your tank every pwc, so you'll always have diatoms. Its one of the most important things to buy IMO. Right along with a protein skimmer.

Get the ro/di unit and save yourself a lot of headaches. I picked up a purewaterclub unit off ebay for about 100 and it works great.

shady3210 said:
Get the ro/di unit and save yourself a lot of headaches. I picked up a purewaterclub unit off ebay for about 100 and it works great.

I got that one too, it works well, but I don't think you can do any add ons like you can with brs filters. Like tds meters, booster pumps, backwash, etc.

What I have:
- Tank (70g) / Stand / Glass Lid
- WavePoint Quad T5HO
- Sump (Aqueon ProFlex Model 3)
- CPR CS90 HOB Overflow
- Rio 2100 Return Pump
- Submersible heater (Fluval M300 and E300)
- Skimmer
- Live Rock
- Live Sand

What I need:
- RO/DI unit
- Powerheads / wavemaker
- Salt
- Refractometer
- Test Kit

Am i missing anything here?

What I have:
- Tank (70g) / Stand / Glass Lid
- WavePoint Quad T5HO
- Sump (Aqueon ProFlex Model 3)
- CPR CS90 HOB Overflow
- Rio 2100 Return Pump
- Submersible heater (Fluval M300 and E300)
- Skimmer
- Live Rock
- Live Sand

What I need:
- RO/DI unit
- Powerheads / wavemaker
- Salt
- Refractometer
- Test Kit

Am i missing anything here?

Looks good but here are a couple other things you should look at:

Auto Top Off- having to top your tank off a couple times a day gets really annoying. This also gives your skimmer and tank stability in water level/salinity. You can setup a DIY system for like $30.

Large Container for mixing water- I use a 50 gallon trash can.

Extra powerhead for mixing- I'd probably use the smaller one you have for this and get a new one for the tank

QT tank- Get one or you will regret it

Patience :whistle:

Looks good but here are a couple other things you should look at:

Auto Top Off- having to top your tank off a couple times a day gets really annoying. This also gives your skimmer and tank stability in water level/salinity. You can setup a DIY system for like $30.

Large Container for mixing water- I use a 50 gallon trash can.

Extra powerhead for mixing- I'd probably use the smaller one you have for this and get a new one for the tank

QT tank- Get one or you will regret it

Patience :whistle:

I'll have to look into the ATO systems a little more. That will probably be down the road.

I was thinking about a 50g trashcan with a couple of my small powerheads. I'm going to get larger ones for the tank.

I have a 40g, 30g, 3x10g, and a 20g long just sitting around so i think i'm set for the QT tank lol

now about the patience....that's much harder for me to find....

Do u have to use a Ph in the extra water or can use an Air pump?

As long as it will dissolve the salt in a timely manner you can use just about anything. Power head, water pump, air pump, you with a big stick and a lot of time.... some are just more efficient then others... and less tiring.

shady3210 said:
As long as it will dissolve the salt in a timely manner you can use just about anything. Power head, water pump, air pump, you with a big stick and a lot of time.... some are just more efficient then others... and less tiring.

Haha ok

I'm thinking with a couple of powerheads angled to flow with the wall and placed at different heights in the trashcan should create a nice stirring effect :) less work for me lol

so i'm looking at different RO/DI units and i have no idea what size i need. these are all rated at different gallon per day. Since my tank is only 70+20(sump) should i go for one of the 50-60GPD units?

so i'm looking at different RO/DI units and i have no idea what size i need. these are all rated at different gallon per day. Since my tank is only 70+20(sump) should i go for one of the 50-60GPD units?

Should be just fine. Any will work it just depends on how fast you want to make water. Your tank size wont matter. For the ro/di I would also recommend getting a cheap handheld tds meter to check the water(unless you get one with build in TDS meters). I got mine for like 5.00 off ebay works fine.

I'm picking up a 3 or 4 stage unit after work today from a friend who has an extra unit available. Nice and cheap as well :)

Link brings me to the eBay homepage. I still haven't bought one, I really need too. I've been going by the replace them once a year rule.

Back
Top Bottom