Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2003, 06:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ThaBigCheese
From Fresh to Salt

I'm looking to change from a Freshwater tank to a Saltwater tank. I've been researching for a couple of weeks now and this is what I have or think I will need. I am running a Penguin Bio Wheel 330. Oh, this will be a fish only tank. I will need to get sand, live rock, a protein skimmer. Are there any other things that you can recommend to get it going? The fish will be community as well....Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
what size tank.

you will need salt, heater, hydromoter, power heads, saltwater test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, alkinity

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ThaBigCheese
Oh yeah...I have a standard 55.....so is it ok to use the filter that I have?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, I have a 50 gallon. And personally, I felt the need to go "overboard" with the filteration needs. Magnum 350 and emperor 400.
I'd recommend an Emperor 400 atleast.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just switch my 55 gal over from FW to SW two weeks ago no problems here so far. just scrub it out good with some bleach. the bleach well disinfect the tank. just make sure to rinse it out real good if you still smell the bleach its not rinsed out good enough. I use the same filters from when it was a FW tank. I have 3 filters on my tank 2 PH for water movement.
Red Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are powerheads, protein skimmers, and hydrometers? I have a little 12 gal freshwater and am thinking about getting a considerably larger tank for SW stuff and am curious as to what I would be getting myself into.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Powerheads (PH) are small pumps that sit inside your tank simply to move water around. SW tanks require a lot more water movement for the fish to feel like they are in a natural environment.

Protien Skimmers (PS) are devices that circulate millions of tiny bubbles in a swirling column of water. Small amounts of Disolved Organic Componds (DOC) then attach themselves to the tiny bubbles which then rise to the top of the protien skimmer and are collected in a cup for disposal. This is the same foam you see washing up on the beach some times.

Hydrometers are simple tools used to measure the amount of salt in the water by measuring it's specific gravity (sg)

For beginners to SW a larger tank is much easier as the larger water volume gives a little more leway while learning good husbandry habbits.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
BC,

I have a 55 using the exact same filter as its main filtration, but it also has an undergravel filter that will be used when needed with a couple of powerheads. I also plan to use a small hang-on protein skimmer when the bio-load (number of fish) gets a little higher.

Is your filtration enough? It depends on how may fish you are planning to get (go slow) and how many water changes you are realistically going to do...

-Patrick
Old 08-24-2003, 11:37 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would strongly encurage not using the UGF. They will be more trouble than help with your saltwater setup.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
Before you make the switch, do your homework. Read, read, and read some more. There's alot of good info in this forum, plus others, too. After a couple of weeks of reading for an hour or two a day, you'll start to have an idea about keeping saltwater tanks happy and healthy. Saltwater doesn't require much more work than freshwater, but everything must be precise and you must have alot of patience. Cycling a tank takes a month minimum, but usually two or three months.

Happy reading!!

Tags
fresh, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com