Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

from fresh to salt: cycling question

I am looking to convert my shelldwelling cichlid 20 gallon long to a saltwater fishonly setup for a pair of false percs, my equipment is suffiecient for sw requirements and I have the proper gravel for buffering purposes, my only question is can I take the cycled fresh water and mix salt to the proper level without cycling again? Or should I mix and completely recycle?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
You should re-cycle the tank again. Most of the bacteria is on the surface of things in your tank and not as much in the water. There would not be much benifit and you would be transfering over all the nitrates and phosphates that have built up in the water.

Also, gravel is usually not the best choice for salt water. Most people choose sand because it won't trap food and poop and all the nasty stuff that you then have to remove manually.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sorry, I used gravel as a loose term, its actually a fine grade aragonite, and this is in place from the cichlids still, I would be mixing the salt in the tank itself with a powerhead without really having to remove any of the rockwork, with that being said would you still reccomend a complete re cycle? I have done a 90 gallon fish only setup before with my father, just never converted from fresh to salt so I want to make sure its done correctly.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

What's the plan on live rock being added? I would add base and or live rock and cycle again to be sure. Ya got your ammonia and nitrite test kit to see what's going on, right?

Also, you say your equipment if sufficient for SW. Curious about that. Whatcha got?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always though you had to re-cycle because the bacteria that converts ammonia->nitrite->nitrate is not the same in FW as SW and the SW will kill all the FW bacteria. So you are basically starting over anyway.

Am I wrong?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Smitty i think thats the way it works but i'm not positive on that. I know you can't wash filters in SW because it kills the bacteria so i would think it works they other way around as well.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I always though you had to re-cycle because the bacteria that converts ammonia->nitrite->nitrate is not the same in FW as SW and the SW will kill all the FW bacteria. So you are basically starting over anyway.

Am I wrong?
That is correct. They are not the same.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would it speed up the process if you removed all the fresh water, replaced it with sw from water change, add some live rock from established tank??
Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding live rock from an established tank could help, depends on how big of a tank you have and how much live rock you add.

Tags
cycling, fresh, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com