From fresh water to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopa_34

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 120 gallon planted tank that i would like to convert to a saltwater tank with just live rock and fish. Right now the equipment that i have is Eheim canister filter and a 4x65 compact light. I just want to know some suggestions on what is the best type of filter and what other equipment to use on the type of saltwater setup i want to do.

You don't aks for much, do you :D

Here's one of the first of a hundred different opinions you are about to get.

First YOU need to decide what you want this tank to end up as. Take it from someone who started out just want a FO tank. I quickly decided to to FOWLR. Then I dumped my cc substrate for a DSB (during the cycle).

After 6 months or so I started adding some mushrooms... you get the idea. A FO can become a reef in short order.

With that in mind, I would start with LR and a protein skimmer for filtration. You have the eheim so you can use that for additional flow and to run GAC 1 week a month or when needed.

Your light is fine till your tank is ready for more light demanding corals, but won't be for a year anyway.

I now consider a sump a must have. Add a place for a refugium to house macro algea (could be part of the sump). Assuming your tank is not drilled you need to determine if it can be drilled and do you want to drill it, or do you want to make, get an overflow box to the sump.

There's an excellent article in the articles section on Common mistakes when planning to start a new aquarium.

That's it for starters.

Back
Top Bottom