From fwlr to reef question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50gal. cycled saltwater tank that's been up and running now for more than two years and fish are happy and healthy. I want to convert to a reef tank and I'll be needing a lot of help as I know nothing about corals, etc. My first of many upcoming ?s is how much light would be necessary for a basic reef to sucessfully grow in a 50gal tank and, how much lr must I have? Right now I only have about 15lbs. :fish1:

The lighting depends on the corals you want to keep. LR is around 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon so in your case 75 or so pounds. I'd recommend base rock and a few pounds of or to seed. Saves some money because or is expensive. A good lighting idea is to aim for around 4to8 watts per gallon.

Thanks Somethingsfishy. Your info is very helpful. I got the or to lr. I have a good lfs in Dover, De. She'll probably try to talk me out of reefing but I think my mind is made up. I'm tired of artificial decorations and cleaning them. And, I'm going to go with a plain blue back so that everything stands out. I know there's a lot to learn and you'll see me many times now that I'm back to AA. As I browse I'm going to look for a few familiar people that I know from my previous days at AA. That was propably 2 yrs. ago. I see that many things have changed here at AA. Thanks again.

No thanks necessary. There will come a time when you will answer my questions. Good luck. Reef tanks are awesome. I'm gathering the pieces to start one for myself. Eventually.

Back
Top Bottom