from QT to main tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
My first post-ich fish will have completed his four week quarantine period tomorrow (woo hoo!!) and I'm wondering what the best way is to acclimate him before moving him over. If I do a 40% PWC using MT water today, and another tomorrow, and then make sure the temperature is the same, will that work?

Are you coming from a hyposalinity treatment? Or is the QT salinity at about the same level as your main?

Don't think I'd go with the major water change route. Assuming the QT tank salinity is close (within a couple points) to your main tank, then I'd treat it just the same as when you first bring a fish home... fill a small container with QT water, get the fish into that container, and then drip acclimate it to your main tank.

I guess you are saying your fish had ich and you treated with hypo. If that is true IMO 4 weeks is not enough. From what I understand 6-8 weeks is the appropiate time frame.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

The main tank was fishless for 9 weeks.

I treated all the fish with hyposalinity in a hospital tank. Four weeks after the last sign of ich I brought four out of five fish back to the LFS. I kept one cardinal and he is now back in the main tank.

Tomorrow, the canary wrasse will have been in a separate 10 gallon QT for 4 weeks. I was asking what the easiest way is to acclimate the wrasse from his QT to the main tank. Both tanks are the same SG and temperature. If I use water from the main tank for a PWC in the QT, won't that get him acclimated? Do I still need to drip acclimate him?

Simple answer. Match your QT's water parameters to your main, go fishin and add to main.

I use that same method at times, performing a 25%-50% (usually 50%) water change of main tank water to qt for two days in a row and then just add to your main system if temps. and salinity are relatively close. Otherwise as Scott indicated, match the water parameters by simple drip/stream acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom