Frontosa noob with a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently set up a tanganyikan tank and everyone was getting along just fine for the most part. Occasionally my frontosa would chase around the cylindricus a bit but nothing too serious. Today I moved over a second frontosa I had in a 20 gal and the larger one is NOT happy. He has been relentlessly chasing him around for the past hour. I know they do well in colonies, but is a pair of fronts too much to hope for? I'm not sure of their sex, however, they are very young still.....around two inches.

I don't know anything about frontosas, but it's very common for groups of fish to establish a "pecking order". Usually one will bully the others until everyone know's their place in the world and it settles down. We can hope that this is what you are seeing now.

Frontosas do better in groups and aren't suited as pairs. Also, since they were not added to the tank at the same time the newcomer is viewed as a intruder to an established territory and is at a disadvantage (and stands at risk of being a constant target of harassment and possibly even elimination).

What size tank are they in? If your tank is large enough, you may have to get a few more fronts to create a workable social hiearchy (4+). If that's not possible you might want to return the new front or move him to another adequately sized tank. Otherwise things will get worse as they grow in size.

Back
Top Bottom