Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have been looking around and my light "satelite brand" only makes a 30inch 65 w so i am guesing my light is 65w! i guss i need to invest in a new light ASAP!! lol im gunna be looking around now maybe find one online and order it tonite?? any suggestions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Power-Compact...3%3A1|294%3A50

Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

OK, the water contains almost no bacteria. All the good bacteria clings to surfaces. LR is live because it is coated with bacteria. The same goes for live sand. New sand will blow all over the tank until it gets coated with bacteria which makes it heavy enough to settle to the bottom and stay there.

Removing the entire sand bed in one shot would probably remove enough bacteria that the tank would have a mini-cycle if not a full blown cycle. You would be much better replacing it thirds as ccCapt said. Yes that will take time, but it's the right way to go.

Putting the fish and water in buckets while you paint the back glass should be fine. Just don't disturb the sand bed too much unless you replace it all. If you do replace it all make sure you have plenty of sw on hand for partial water changes. Should a mini-cycle occur you will need to do 10% or larger daily pwc's to keep the parameters in check. Get new Ammonia and Nitrite test kits and test daily.

As for lights, I took a quick look and the Current USA Nova SunDial T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X24 Watt, 30 inch Sale Price: $186.25 looks like a good deal. Any 5 bulb T5 with a quality reflector or a dual bulb 65w CFL should be good for most corals. The Current USA Satellite Dual Compact Fluorescent, 2X65 Watt, 30 inch is on sale for $126.91

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If it was me I would just siphon off the cyano if that`s what we are talking about and do some frequent PWC`s. The nitrifying bacteria is already as I mentioned before already on your LR, sand and tank surfaces. You dont want to do anything to disrupt that. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

so the cyano bacteria is good? Im starting to understand .. (sorry) ..
so just remove water cyphen out some sand? put some new sand?( do i put the sand anywhere or in a certain place??) sorry for so many simple questions which may sound dum! lol

so step 1 cyphen water into bucket.
2. clean sand? or w.e u say
3. paint the back let it settle
4.set up tank again
5. live rock which was in tank into sump
6. restock tank with water and fish
7. water change daily
8. watch everything
9. buy cured lr
10. LIGHTS

AM i missing n e thing?

THANK YOU SO MUCHH! I WILL POST PICTURES OF MY PROGREESS!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME
Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfern09 View Post
so the cyano bacteria is good?
No the cyano is bad. It is the red slimey algea looking stuff that looks like this.

Do some PWC`s and and when you siphon water out siphon this out. Nitrifying bacteria is invisible and it covers surfaces in your tank. It helps out in your tank by turning ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates which can be removed by PWC`s. We are talking two different things here. This article will help explain the good bacteria.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

BioFiltration

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok since im keeping my water in my plastic container! i should take the rocks out 1st, then cyphen outthe cyano into the bucket too?? because water will be coming out with it? and the rest of my steps looks good?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

No updatEs?!! I needa find out asap planning to DO WORK sunday morning so trying to get everything ready by tomorow night
Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

??? 130W OR 96W I have the money and want to purchase it online or at the LFS anyy help? and is what i wrote abovve a good idea?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

SLOW DOWN! You are not going to fix everything in one day.
Cyano is bad. Vacuum it off the sand and rocks if you can. Scrubbing the rocks in a bucket of sw may also help. Without seeing your tank it's hard to tell what is going on. If you could some full tank shots and some close ups of the rock using the macro setting on your camera that might help identify what is goinig on. As Melousu58 stated you may not need to scrub the rocks. Let's see what's on them.

You are going to need several buckets for this. When you siphon the cyano and other detritus off the sand, that water and whatever comes with it needs to be discarded. The same goes for the 5 gallon bucket you scrub the rocks in, IF you decide that step is needed.

As for a light fixture, therre is a huge difference between VHO, CFL, T5, MH and LED lighting systems. The wattage numbers alone do not mean much.
Post a link to the lights you are thinking about (like I posted earlier).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

this is the cyano? should i scrub it off b4 i toss it into the sump? or keep the cyano on? and what do i do with the sand? look at the pic!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com