Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Ive had 2 separate LFS tell me that a fish a week is ok??
The best way to space your fish is with a QT. If you QT all new fish before addibg to your main setup your timing should work out fine. I did not QT my 1st fish and lost both. Now I QT for 4 weeks. Once that is over and add them to the main I can start a new QT with new fish for 4 weeks.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Regarding LFS...there are some good ones...but I still take anything that I have only ever heard from one LFS with a grain of salt. I will usually search the AA forums or post a question when the LFS tells me something that sounds too good to be true. And it usually ends up being to good to be true...

But sounds like got some real bad advice from your LFS..a ray at 11 weeks..and changing the substrate..OUCH. I consider Rays as Expert Only. I haven't dared to put a fish in my tank and I have been cycled for 2 weeks now...another 2 weeks and I think I will take the plunge!

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did not quarantine once....was fresh water....was a pleco.

I needed him for an acute algae problem...so I opted to bypass the QT process. I did not see the Pleco for 1 week after I got him. I finally saw him...COVERED WITH THE WORST CASE OF ICK!!

I had 10-15 fish who also got Ick. One fish lost his tail from fin rot. I lost 4 fish so far (including the pleco), lost 4 snails as they could not take the heat treatment. Moved 4 more bad looking fish into the hospital tank last night with body fungus, rin rot, eye problems.

QT, QT, QT!!

That is my motto now!

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com