Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2003, 02:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

okay, I forgot to mention that I tested my makeup water and the calcium is indeed low in it too. About 325. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:55 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybeas
okay, I forgot to mention that I tested my makeup water and the calcium is indeed low in it too. About 325. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So looking back, you could not get the Ca to rise above 250 ppm with a DKH of 10.

Now that your ph is looking better, has the DKH changed now that the Ca is also up? When do you think the mag test can be done?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-25-2003, 07:59 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I tested my makeup water and the calcium is indeed low in it too. About 325.
What brand salt are you using, I get similar results from Instant Ocean

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 12:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

My dkh has risen from 9 to 10. I am using instant ocean. I am having a hard time finding the mag test.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
Old 07-26-2003, 07:14 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Salifert test kits here

Salifert Magnesium test kit here

Old 07-29-2003, 02:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tested my magnesium, is 1140. What next? 8O
Old 07-29-2003, 10:30 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

The Mag is a little low, but shouldn't be enough to cause an imbalance. I would add some magnesium to the tank, bringing the level up to about 1500ppm or a little less, and then test and adjust your CA and ALK with Calcium Chloride and an Alk buffer like Seachem's reef builder or Kent's Super Buffer DKH.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:59 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now I really do not get it!!! I just did my weekly 8-10 percent water change. I tested all of my levels. nitrites and nitrates are zero. Calcium is 250!!! I checked the ph with a tetra test kit and it said 8.0 The color looked a little off, so I used a spare test kit which is a sailfert and the reading is 7.7! I tested a little of my make up water, ph also 7.7 The dkh was 11. I have been dosing with B ionic daily. I have not added the mag yet, because I need to wait until I get paid. (which is thursday)

I thought maybe this is due to my water prep. I use RO water and instant ocean. I mix it up, add a powerhead and let it stir for a few days. Why would the pH be so low, and is this the cause of my low calcium? I am at a loss!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #19
steve-s

Interesting that you've been using IO salts. Since I started using it recently I have had the same issues. I am wondering with all the fuss of late concerning salt mixes if it has not promted some to "alter" the formula?

Did you mix the salt using a PH and bring it up to the correct temp as well?

Gonna make up a batch tomorrow and test the post mix and see what the levels are. Anyone else have the similar results?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 02:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I mix it up with a small powerhead for several days. I do not need to heat it because I live in Phoenix, Az. I am miss anal retentive reef keeper, so I am really frustrated!! I do not get it. It may explain why I can not get my ph and calcium right. [/i]

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com