Frustrated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin, how much salt per gallon are you using? whoops, clicked submit before finishing....I believe 1.026 is how you get 410 ppm CA.

I mixed TM and I got 350 ppm CA at 1.023

Cool, I used 1/2 cup per gal myself and stopped there... I may want to up it a bit..prolly to 2/3...

Reefrunner, why the difference between your mag results and mine? It is a difference of about 100. I tested twice and got the same results both time. I guess I did something wrong. Ticks me off. What maker do you use to test your mag?

I'm using a Seachem test kit for Mg, but in the grand scheme of things, the difference isn't that large, probably the difference in lots. It would be like a difference of 20 or 30 ppm CA ;) it seems like a bunch, but that is just because of the large quantity of Mg found in seawater.

Thanks again, I am starting to like this fish stuff that we do. It is becoming fun now that I am understanding what is being said. It is nice when the parameters and abbreviations start making sense.

I keep getting a 7.7 reading no matter what salt I test. TM, IO, or marine mix professional. I am using a sailfert test, but I am beginning to wonder about accuracy. I have never seen it read anything but 7.7. I am still frustrated!

bizzybeas said:
I keep getting a 7.7 reading no matter what salt I test. TM, IO, or marine mix professional. I am using a sailfert test, but I am beginning to wonder about accuracy. I have never seen it read anything but 7.7. I am still frustrated!
Try testing some plain tap water to see if you get a different reading. Could be the test kit or some other influence. What does the tank itself read?

Cheers
Steve

For anyone following this thread...I posted my Wierd science thread on another forum as well as this one, and have had some interesting info posted. The link is >>here<<, if you'd like to read it. Might put some of the IO users minds at rest. If you have any questions about the links posted, feel free to post them here and if I can't answer them (quite likely) I'll post them over there and Boomer should answer them ;)

I have not read the links posted yet, no time this morning, but plan to this afternoon.

I will test my RO water tonight. My tank tests the same, this is why I thought it could be the test kit.

Okay, I tested the water. My RO water pH is 7.0 with tetra kit, 7.4 with sailfert. My make up water is 8.0 with tetra, between 7.7 and 8.0 with sailfert. (tank is the same)

Is this the source of my frustration? Is the pH in the RO water supposed to be higher? I buy it at the water and ice store, keep it in a sealed container for a few days in my garage until I use it.

Could the low pH throw off my calcium?

Could the fact that I live in Phoenix and my garage is 110 degrees make a difference? I keep the make up water in my house.

8O :?

Back
Top Bottom