Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Frustrated and thinking of going back to freshwater

Newbee with a lot of bad advice from local pet store who would prefer to sell me something than advise me in fish keeping.

I started a 55 gal saltwater tank 10 weeks ago. I only intend to have fish, live rock, and sand. I now have invested A LOT of time and MONEY and have decided I do not have the unlimited deep pockets it is going to take to keep this thing going. I did not do sufficient research before diving in. I only took the advice of my lfs. Dummy Me.

Now to my question. (I have had a fresh water aquarium for 10 years no problems.) Can I keep the sand, live rock (approx. 5 lbs), and decorative coral and change over to fresh water or do I have to scrap the whole thing and go back to square one? I am hoping that the lfs will give me credit for my two clowns, 3 crabs and 1 turbo snail. Can I sell a used protein skimmer, power heads, ect.? I know my filter will work for fresh water so at least that wont be wasted.

Can I down size to a 10 gal with the fish and live rock I have and be successful? It seems it would be much cheeper to keep.

I have killed $88.00 worth of fish and spent $45.00 in medication trying to save them by treating my main tank because the lfs didn't think qt tanks were neccessary. After all this I found your web sight and It could have saved me a fortune in equip. ect.[/list][/code]

Old 02-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would think the salt content in the rocks and sand would be "extremly" hard to get rid of. I wouldn;t even try it if I was you. Maybe run a add in the paper I am sure someone would rather get it from you at discount than go lfs

Old 02-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

sad sad but ya live and learn and now that ya know about this site ya still want to scrap everything?? imo i feel so many people try to hard and not let nature take its course !! keeping a fish only salt tank is way to easy (at least for me ) hate to see someone give up after 10 weeks :-(
being your first salt tank should of started with some damsels or equal hardy fish first and if ya cant keep them alive then houston we have a prob somewhere?!?!? and many people here can point you in the right direction !! and never listen to a pet shop i dont ever !! if they dont have a fish bible to read im not buying anything sorry about your probs not sure what they are but would give you my input if it helps
Old 02-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

also no matter what ya try sometimes ya get bad live stock so might not be all your fault !! after my first copperbanded died i was like im gonna buy one more from you and if it dies thats it ill buy one else where !!
Old 02-29-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

dont be discouraged. this is a true hobby of patients. the only extra costs for a FO tank will be for the salt and it really isnt that much. ask us any questions you have before you give up completely. maybe we can help you back in.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

While I echo the others, I would like to answer your questions...

but first...

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Quote:
Can I keep the sand, live rock (approx. 5 lbs), and decorative coral and change over to fresh water
Unless your keeping all hard water species like african cichlids, the CA that would end up in the water due to FW ph, would calcify the fishes liver and kidneys.

Quote:
Can I sell a used protein skimmer, power heads, ect.?
Yep, but don't expect to get near what you paid for them, feel free to advertise in the classifieds section of the site. What brand of skimmer and phs?

Quote:
Can I down size to a 10 gal with the fish and live rock I have and be successful?
IMO, with the equipment your thinking of getting rid of and the sand...yes you can, I would however add about 5-10 more lds of LR or base rock. This will provide all the biological filtration with the sand and the skimmer will preform mechanical and chemical filtration. One thing to know, smaller SW tanks are considered more difficult than larger. However, now that you have a support group offering good advice, it is certainly doable.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel your frustration and I think most in this hobby have been where you are. It is hard to sit back and be patient. Especially if you are like me and have way too much "id" and no 'super ego." You already have a fair investment in this...ride it out. When I run short on cash I just let things sit until I build some up. It is important to understand that this is a progressive hobby, do not be in a hurry. Relax and enjoy the process. Any really, is anyone ever "done" with an aquarium. Please do not give up on saltwater, it is worth the heartache.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I went through the same process when I first started my SW tank. It was a 55 and I was an idiot. I sent alot of damsels and several clowns to meet their maker simply because I made simple mistakes that with the help of the people like those in this forum I might not have made. I was close to giving up at one point, but almost 3 years later I've graduated to a 150 and I'm in the process of making my original 55 a reef tank.

Of course if you do give up you wont know what your missing, but trust me FW tanks are boring!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Sorry to hear your problems..
If you need to sell the skimmer and dont' mind putting it in a box, I would like to buy it ! I need a skimmer fo rmy new 55... Thanks
Rich
Old 03-07-2004, 12:02 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Depending on the equipment you have, and if you're willing to try one more time, we can probably help you get a successful tank going. It's really not all that hard...you just have to have the right info. It does take lots of patience and you've already spent most of the money you'll have to spend. Up for one more try?

Tags
freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com