Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fumes near tank

This may be an odd question. I'm soon going to be setting up a 75 gal tank (just arrived at the LFS today). It is going to be located in our basement which is mostly finished, however I am still working on a couple of rooms. I have quite a bit of varnishing left to do. If I varnish in the basement will those fumes be bad for the water? What if I do all the varnishing while the tank is cycling, will the water be safe to add fish to after the cycle is complete?

Old 02-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

To be honest, I would wait until you have finished the majority of the varnishing before setting up the tank. There is a chance that if you just had water in it and no inhabitants, you could use carbon after the fumes were gone and that could pull out the toxins, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Patience, Patience, Patience. If you can stand to wait, I would advise it. Most warning lables on paint and varnish will have you guard against breathing in the vapors, as it will cause health problems. If it can/will affect you, and therefore has to be warned against, chances are they will affect your fish as well. Better safe than sorry, IMO.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, thats what I figured. Instead of waiting though I'll just have to varnish someplace else - maybe the garage.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I agree.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com