Future 180 Gallon Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Help me with this so I can do it right the first time.

I'm planning on 180 gallon but not sure if I should go with glass or Acrylic? I'm going to go with a new tank since I have no luck with CL and build my stand and canopy.

For my sump/Refugium I'm going with either a custom 55 build or if someone can suggest a good prebuilt brand.

This will be my first stand build so If someone can provide me with a good blueprint it would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer glass over acrylic. I have always heard they scratch easier than glass. But I do have a 1 gallon acrylic aquarium that doesnt seem to have any scratches and its a couple years old. But if it were to be me I would go with low iron glass (i believe its low iron. Its the clearer glass)

Ok thanks. I guess I'll go with glass then. I heard the Acrylic is clearer and lighter so it's easier to move around.

Are those trigger systems big enough for a 180+ size tank?

I have both and acrylic does scratch much easier. I have the low iron/starfire glass which I personally like better.

As for buying used, have the buyer fill it with water to leak test it.. if it leaks I would move on it another, don't bother trying to fix it.

I'm planning on buying it new. I was going with glasscages.com but I've decided to go with fishtanksdirect.com since they offer free shipping. I'm probably going to go with a 200 gallon instead because its cheaper for some reason.

The overflow is in the back center with 3 drains and 2 returns. They don't have the option for starphire online so I have to wait to call them on Monday. The anticipation is killing me.

Have your returns come over the top and save the money on those holes. I would want 2 overflows instead of just one, unless it was a very long one. 3 drains are unnecessary. 2 one and a half inch drains is plenty. I have 4 on my 300 (2 per overflow), but I don't even use a quarter of that.

I was looking at the tank you have in mind, it is only 4 feet long though? Just my opinion, but if getting such a large tank why not go for one with the length? You can have more fish and larger ones since you have the 6 foot length for them to swim. Never saw much need to have a tall tank vs a long one. lol

Just a thought

I just re-read this thread. Glass cages is tremendously cheaper than fish tanks direct, free shipping or not. Roughly 2 grand for a 200?I paid 1800 for my 300, with custom overflows and bulkheads, plus them shipping it to a central location about an hour away....

The standard trigger systems sumps are 36 gallon which is probably not enough for a 200. You can have them custom make one to the size you need.

Also if your looking for something unique check out Aqua vim aquariums

I have a half cylinder from them and love it. They are a bit pricey but they do have a specials area which has some good deals. One of the reasons I went with them is their custom stands and canopies made of hardwood. I got an un-finished one as my wife wanted to customize it to match the room it is in.

Back
Top Bottom