Future 75 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like its gonna be a little bit longer before i get a 75 gallon tank. I didnt get as much money as i had hoped for my birthday so im gonna save up until i have enough. And i went to my LFS today and he had a midas blenny and it was really pretty:) i like him and there was a bunch of other fish two that i havent seen before.

So here's my plan now...
1 Platinum Clownfish
1 B&W Clownfish
1 Longnose Butterflyfish
1 Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
1 Tail Spot Blenny
1 Orange Spotted Prawn Goby
1 Red Stripe Angelfish (actually not sure but I know I want a dwarf angel)
Then clean up crew...
Hermit Crabs
Snails
2 Peppermint Shrimp
This is the stock

The mandarin is 99% going to be trouble... They are the pickiest eaters alive, and almost always only eat pods. You'll need a large population of pods in your tank to sustain the feeding. Otherwise you'll be spending $30 per week feeding bottled pods.

They starve easily, and are not easy fish. It is very rare to find any success stories. There's probably 1000 threads on AA about mandarin care, if you're interested, do a quick search.

TLTGF said:
The mandarin is 99% going to be trouble... They are the pickiest eaters alive, and almost always only eat pods. You'll need a large population of pods in your tank to sustain the feeding. Otherwise you'll be spending $30 per week feeding bottled pods.

They starve easily, and are not easy fish. It is very rare to find any success stories. There's probably 1000 threads on AA about mandarin care, if you're interested, do a quick search.

Ya I heard they were hard to care for but I'm will to try. How to get a population of pods?

New stock list...
Pair of B&W Clownfish
1 Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Randalls Goby
1 Spotted BristletoothTang
1 Green Mandarin
1 Cherub Angelfish

Clean Up Crew...
Hermit Crabs
Snails
2 Peppermint Shrimp

Good or bad? I want a foxface but I think the tank is already full. And I'm going to try and het a really good population of copepods for the mandarin and wait till the tank has been established for a while before adding it.

I found some deals on craigslist that I think are pretty good here they are please give me some advice on which you think is best:)

70 gallon aqueon with T5 lights, canister filter, heater, plants, rocks, you name it. $250.00
Actually don't think this is the best...

Selling my 55 gallon fish tank and custom white washed oak cabinet. Freshwater fish ready! In total working order just no longer have time of taking care of it. Lights, gravel, some ornaments (not pictured) and filtration system (not pictured) included. Very nice tank & beautiful cabinet! Comes from a smoke free home. Asking $250. Cash & Cary ONLY...
I love this one even though it's only 55 gallons:D

80 Gallon Black trim tank
matching black wood cabinet stand
reef ready lighting
salt water, reef ready setup
sump
protein skimmer
Email me for more pictures of the tank, stand and all the accessories

This was a full reef set up. It has everything to start a salt water / reef , except the live rock and sand. Email me if you want to come see it.
This one is very nice too.

The 55 gallon is the white tank and the 80 is the black. The 55 has been on CL for a while so I don't know if it's been sold or not so I emailed and offered 50$. So we will see and I offered the other guy for the 80 gallon 250$ so if I can get both for 300$ I'm totally gonna do it lol:D....if my mom let's me... Haha so tell me what you guys think...

Attachments

• image-3779762862.jpg
    image-3779762862.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 54
  • image-4013970002.jpg
    image-4013970002.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 64
Are you planning on a reef? A few of those are bad choices if so.

In general, butterfly fishes will pick at polyps and snails, and the long nose is no exception.

I'd say no to a mandarin initially. They are not hard to keep in a well established reef; my lfs has a good dozen in their 4" colony tank. But starting off they are just not good choices because they want to eat live foods that just aren't available en masse.

As for a tang, I recommend the Kole tang > the Bristletooth. The Kole tang will have more than enough room to be happy in a tank of this size.

Don't be afraid to opt for a DSB of 4" or so, either! Place the base rocks on the bottom before adding sand or water to ensure stability.

Sarcothelia said:
Are you planning on a reef? A few of those are bad choices if so.

In general, butterfly fishes will pick at polyps and snails, and the long nose is no exception.

I'd say no to a mandarin initially. They are not hard to keep in a well established reef; my lfs has a good dozen in their 4" colony tank. But starting off they are just not good choices because they want to eat live foods that just aren't available en masse.

As for a tang, I recommend the Kole tang > the Bristletooth. The Kole tang will have more than enough room to be happy in a tank of this size.

Don't be afraid to opt for a DSB of 4" or so, either! Place the base rocks on the bottom before adding sand or water to ensure stability.

Yes I am planning on a reef....is there any butterfly that is best with reefs? If not I can switch out the butterfly for the foxface.

I was planning on not getting a mandarin till my tank was a well established reef.

I just think the bristletooth is prettier than the kole tang but I will do more in depth research on them.

And what benefits there be of a DSB?

Thank you for your help:)

A dsb creates an environment where anaerobic bacteria that cannot live with oxygen become established. They help reduce nitrates by turning it into nitrogen gas and it leaves the aquarium.

slitherbomb said:
A dsb creates an environment where anaerobic bacteria that cannot live with oxygen become established. They help reduce nitrates by turning it into nitrogen gas and it leaves the aquarium.

Oh ok so that sounds like a good idea

Ok so I just saw on liveaquaria that the mimic lemonpeel tang only needs 70 gallons or larger and I like them more than the kole or bristletooth so that is the one I want:) unless there's any problems with them

So the guy with the 70 gal complete replied and it comes with a canister filter....would I need a skimmer and all that still? If so I'm not gonna get this.

KeeperOfFish said:
So the guy with the 70 gal complete replied and it comes with a canister filter....would I need a skimmer and all that still? If so I'm not gonna get this.

You don't ever NEED anything, but it would help.

slitherbomb said:
You don't ever NEED anything, but it would help.

But the canister filter would do the job until I get the chance to have a sump,refugium,and skimmer right?

Back
Top Bottom