Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 92
future 75gal reef plan

I have a 56g SWFOWLR (it only has CUC and a pr of occy clowns right now).
We are looking at getting a 75gal reef ready tank and stand.

So..
Plan with me!

Stocking list:
I would like a pr of pink skunk clowns
hubby would like a tang or two...
and a mandarin eventually

what else should I put in there?

I have a 40breeder that I will use to build a sump.
I will need a protien skimmer ...
I will need a bunch of rock, but will get dry rock and seed with rock from my current tank.

I have one 120W LED fixture that I was going to use for my 56g but decided it would be better as FO- so I can pick up a second one...
__________________

__________________
No tanks running right now- just moved. Planning a 100 gal planted.
marie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Phranque's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,443
Well, if you haven't bought the tank yet, you're either going to need a bit bigger one to fit your plans....... or change your plan.

2 pairs of clowns in a 75 is probably going to cause aggression issues..... they likely aren't going to have enough room to establish seperate territories and be able to stay out of each other's way. And, a 75 is too small for tangs...... they are very active swimmers and need a minimum of a 6ft tank (125, 150, 180, etc). The more room they have, the better, especially if you want more than one..... most tangs don't like other tangs, especially ones of similar shape. Something like a blue tang and a Kole or Yellow will generally get along because of varied body shapes, but a Kole and a Yellow together could cause issues.........
Mandarins are notoriously diffucult to keep, even for the experienced..... they typically won't eat provided foods. They require a very established tank with a healthy isopod population. Most mandarins wind up starving to death.

Golden rule of Saltwater......... research, research, research!!! Here's a good place to start:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...plies.cfm?c=15
__________________

__________________
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
Well, if you haven't bought the tank yet, you're either going to need a bit bigger one to fit your plans....... or change your plan.

2 pairs of clowns in a 75 is probably going to cause aggression issues..... they likely aren't going to have enough room to establish seperate territories and be able to stay out of each other's way. And, a 75 is too small for tangs...... they are very active swimmers and need a minimum of a 6ft tank (125, 150, 180, etc). The more room they have, the better, especially if you want more than one..... most tangs don't like other tangs, especially ones of similar shape. Something like a blue tang and a Kole or Yellow will generally get along because of varied body shapes, but a Kole and a Yellow together could cause issues.........

Golden rule of Saltwater......... research, research, research!!!
oops, guess I wasn't clear- I am keeping the 56 as SWFOWLR, but the 75 will be reef. The 56 is in our living room, the kids wanted occy clowns.
So only one set of clowns will be in the 75.

Maybe I was mistaken but aren't there aome smaller tangs that will do fine in a 75? Kole tang, bristletooth?
Can't do a 6' tank. Max we can fit is a 5'... so no Blue tang.
__________________
No tanks running right now- just moved. Planning a 100 gal planted.
marie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Phranque's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie74 View Post
oops, guess I wasn't clear- I am keeping the 56 as SWFOWLR, but the 75 will be reef. The 56 is in our living room, the kids wanted occy clowns.
So only one set of clowns will be in the 75.

Maybe I was mistaken but aren't there aome smaller tangs that will do fine in a 75? Kole tang, bristletooth?
Can't do a 6' tank. Max we can fit is a 5'... so no Blue tang.
Gotcha....

Kole tang would probably be OK, but I wouldn't put any others with him. LA recommends a min of 70 gal, but if you can go 90 instead of a 75 (still a 4' tank), that would give some more room, plus more aquascaping room for rock & sandbed corals.
__________________
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 92
I think I am going to go with a 75 because the price is much better, and I am short and can barely reach to aquascape on a 24" deep tank (even with a stepstool, the water is up to my shoulder!).

OK- so updated list:

1 pr clowns (pink skunks are cathing my eye)
1 tang- either Kole tang or bristletooth
1 mandarin after the tank is established.

Anything else that would be cool and colorful, and compatible?
__________________
No tanks running right now- just moved. Planning a 100 gal planted.
marie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Phranque's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie74 View Post
I think I am going to go with a 75 because the price is much better, and I am short and can barely reach to aquascape on a 24" deep tank (even with a stepstool, the water is up to my shoulder!).
What a horrible excuse. You'll be back in 6 months saying "I wish I would've got the 90"....... I'm tellin' ya.



Quote:
Originally Posted by marie74 View Post
Anything else that would be cool and colorful, and compatible?
IMO, no reef is truly complete without a nice looking wrasse, and there are plenty of gorgeous ones out there to choose from. Just one word of caution, they are jumpers.... a mesh lid will be required, but they are easy to build.
Here's the reef-safe wrasse, just be aware that a few of them require larger tanks or advanced care:
Wrasse Fish for Sale: Cleaner Wrasse and other Reef Safe Wrasse Species


Since the blue tang is out, a small school of blue reef chromis would look sweet.....
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Reef Chromis
__________________
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
MarinaClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 790
+1 on wrasses. Very colorful and active swimmers.
__________________

__________________
60 Gallon SPS dominated reef tank.
MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
75g, 75gal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.