future 75gal reef plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 56g SWFOWLR (it only has CUC and a pr of occy clowns right now).
We are looking at getting a 75gal reef ready tank and stand.

So..
Plan with me!

Stocking list:
I would like a pr of pink skunk clowns
hubby would like a tang or two...
and a mandarin eventually

what else should I put in there?

I have a 40breeder that I will use to build a sump.
I will need a protien skimmer ...
I will need a bunch of rock, but will get dry rock and seed with rock from my current tank.

I have one 120W LED fixture that I was going to use for my 56g but decided it would be better as FO- so I can pick up a second one...

Well, if you haven't bought the tank yet, you're either going to need a bit bigger one to fit your plans....... or change your plan.

2 pairs of clowns in a 75 is probably going to cause aggression issues..... they likely aren't going to have enough room to establish seperate territories and be able to stay out of each other's way. And, a 75 is too small for tangs...... they are very active swimmers and need a minimum of a 6ft tank (125, 150, 180, etc). The more room they have, the better, especially if you want more than one..... most tangs don't like other tangs, especially ones of similar shape. Something like a blue tang and a Kole or Yellow will generally get along because of varied body shapes, but a Kole and a Yellow together could cause issues.........
Mandarins are notoriously diffucult to keep, even for the experienced..... they typically won't eat provided foods. They require a very established tank with a healthy isopod population. Most mandarins wind up starving to death.

Golden rule of Saltwater......... research, research, research!!! Here's a good place to start:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15

Last edited:
Well, if you haven't bought the tank yet, you're either going to need a bit bigger one to fit your plans....... or change your plan.

2 pairs of clowns in a 75 is probably going to cause aggression issues..... they likely aren't going to have enough room to establish seperate territories and be able to stay out of each other's way. And, a 75 is too small for tangs...... they are very active swimmers and need a minimum of a 6ft tank (125, 150, 180, etc). The more room they have, the better, especially if you want more than one..... most tangs don't like other tangs, especially ones of similar shape. Something like a blue tang and a Kole or Yellow will generally get along because of varied body shapes, but a Kole and a Yellow together could cause issues.........

Golden rule of Saltwater......... research, research, research!!!

oops, guess I wasn't clear- I am keeping the 56 as SWFOWLR, but the 75 will be reef. The 56 is in our living room, the kids wanted occy clowns.
So only one set of clowns will be in the 75.

Maybe I was mistaken but aren't there aome smaller tangs that will do fine in a 75? Kole tang, bristletooth?
Can't do a 6' tank. Max we can fit is a 5'... so no Blue tang.

oops, guess I wasn't clear- I am keeping the 56 as SWFOWLR, but the 75 will be reef. The 56 is in our living room, the kids wanted occy clowns.
So only one set of clowns will be in the 75.

Maybe I was mistaken but aren't there aome smaller tangs that will do fine in a 75? Kole tang, bristletooth?
Can't do a 6' tank. Max we can fit is a 5'... so no Blue tang.

Gotcha....

Kole tang would probably be OK, but I wouldn't put any others with him. LA recommends a min of 70 gal, but if you can go 90 instead of a 75 (still a 4' tank), that would give some more room, plus more aquascaping room for rock & sandbed corals.

I think I am going to go with a 75 because the price is much better, and I am short and can barely reach to aquascape on a 24" deep tank (even with a stepstool, the water is up to my shoulder!).

OK- so updated list:

1 pr clowns (pink skunks are cathing my eye)
1 tang- either Kole tang or bristletooth
1 mandarin after the tank is established.

Anything else that would be cool and colorful, and compatible?

I think I am going to go with a 75 because the price is much better, and I am short and can barely reach to aquascape on a 24" deep tank (even with a stepstool, the water is up to my shoulder!).

What a horrible excuse. You'll be back in 6 months saying "I wish I would've got the 90"....... I'm tellin' ya. ;) :lol:

Anything else that would be cool and colorful, and compatible?

IMO, no reef is truly complete without a nice looking wrasse, and there are plenty of gorgeous ones out there to choose from. Just one word of caution, they are jumpers.... a mesh lid will be required, but they are easy to build.
Here's the reef-safe wrasse, just be aware that a few of them require larger tanks or advanced care:
Wrasse Fish for Sale: Cleaner Wrasse and other Reef Safe Wrasse Species

Since the blue tang is out, a small school of blue reef chromis would look sweet.....
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Reef Chromis

Back
Top Bottom